No bevel edge tool in mesh edit mode of blender 2.5?!?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

darbotron

No bevel edge tool in mesh edit mode of blender 2.5?!?

Post by darbotron »

Hi

I'm completely freaked out that the bevel tool has been removed formt he edge editing tools in mesh edit mode in blender 2.5

Having searched around it seems that some people think that it's not needed because of the Bevel modifier which is allegedly the "proper way" to do it.

Fail!

It's all very well and good to try and push everything onto the modifier stack, but if wanting to bevel a single edge (or even a few well chosen edges) of a mesh means I have to faff about setting edge bevel weights and then adjusting a modifier then I'm likely to just keep using blender 2.49b instead.

I have a low-poly modelling (for games) background, and bevel is a bread and butter low poly modelling tool - the ability to bevel a single edge without messing about with modifiers is still in the latest versions of Max and Maya.

Essentially, I guess my point is that the bevel modifier shouldn't ever be considered a replacement for the regular old fashioned "please just bevel this edge, thanks" - both are needed.

e.g. when I make a high poly model I generally do it low poly first - almost certainly using the regular mesh edit level bevel tool quite a lot - because it's much easier to edit and get the general proportions and shapes right.

Once I have that, I then sub-divide and smooth my way up to the high poly mesh I want, which is where having the bevel modifier would probably come in.

Please put the mesh edit edge bevel back in!

cheers,

Alex
"They're only Noodles Michael"

Monty

Post by Monty »

They've been trying to do it for some time. I think once Bmesh is implemented bevel will follow. About 1 or 2 months from what I can tell.

darbotron

Post by darbotron »

Good news - I will stop fretting now :)
"They're only Noodles Michael"

konan

Post by konan »

Hi, I have read at the b-mesh creator's blog that we may be must wait for several years again until b-mesh code finished because of his health is going bad............

Nikprodanov

Post by Nikprodanov »

http://bmeshblender.wordpress.com/
At BlenConf, I’ll have access to key developers to finalize trunk integration plans, and a great many artists for testing.
BMesh is nearing completion. I’m currently doing another merge, and I’m aiming to do an intense testing sprint in the near future. My life is rather hectic at the moment, but hopefully I will get bmesh production-ready as soon as possible.
That doesn't make it sound like years to me. I also think that if Bmesh doesn't get integrated soon, there would be a stopgap port done for the Bevel tool so that people can use something.

NanetteTredoux

Post by NanetteTredoux »

I just downloaded version 2.56a 64-bit, and I have been searching for a way to bevel selected edges, as I could in 2.49b. Has it been implemented yet? If not, please do not overlook this!

psullie

Post by psullie »

There's a Bevel tool in Modifiers

joedgrant

Post by joedgrant »

psullie wrote:There's a Bevel tool in Modifiers
Yup. As was mentioned in the OP. It's inconvenient and a poor place for it when you want to use it as part of your normal polygon modeling workflow.

I'm sure there's plenty of uses for it there as well.

Anyways. Any workarounds for this? Scripts or the like?

Termin8

Post by Termin8 »

+100000

As millions of Blender 2.5x users, i really need bevel tool. And imo none of the bevel modifiers will replace the old and perfect edge/vertex bevel tool. I hope we all know that it's the essential modelling tool.

So, Blender Development Team, PLEASE! PLEASE! bring it back into Blender!

Termin8

Post by Termin8 »

Hi again!

Is Blender 2.57 without an edge bevel tool again? Or do i miss something?

That's really-really frustrating!

Club

Post by Club »

Must add my voice to this - put the bevel tool back in. I desperately need it, as some tricks I regularly use are now no longer possible. I'll be going back to 2.49b, which otherwise isn't as nice.

Blender-Man

Post by Blender-Man »

Termin8 wrote:+100000

As millions of Blender 2.5x users, i really need bevel tool. And imo none of the bevel modifiers will replace the old and perfect edge/vertex bevel tool. I hope we all know that it's the essential modelling tool.

So, Blender Development Team, PLEASE! PLEASE! bring it back into Blender!
Me Too PLEASE this bevel modifiers sucks ;(
So, Blender Development Team, PLEASE! PLEASE! bring back the old bevel into Blender!

Speroangelus

Please bring back the bevel tool...

Post by Speroangelus »

It's still not back or am I missing something?:cry:
Please I really need the bevel tool for my modeling.
If it's there, can someone please tell me where?
And I don't mean the modifier bevel, I want to bevel some edges fast, when I'm in edit mode.

Thx, in advance...
The past is gone, the future is unknown and the present is a gift, that's why it's called present...
I like the idea ;-)

konan

Post by konan »

not only edge bevel tool is missing.... some basic command had unconsistency and missing too... e.x : the use of combo ALT + selection (b/c) .... IMHO it handy as in 2.4x that the combo do deselect mode... but it missing in 2.5x (except in 2.56 ).... the extrude command for group polygons and by face also changed from e and SHIFT e to e only and for by face changed to button or menu Specials....
maybe better if the conversion from 2.4x to 2.5x still consistent in old tool........ anyway, I like 2.5x!! It has less problems than 2.4x!! :D

mooncaine

Boo. Still no bevel?

Post by mooncaine »

Wow, really? C'mon, bevel needs to be there.