[Blender 2.5] Ctrl-N shortcut is a little bit unwise

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

aws357

[Blender 2.5] Ctrl-N shortcut is a little bit unwise

Post by aws357 »

So far I haven't found any mention of it in the forum, so call me stupid if you want.

But when you are in edit mode, Ctrl-N is used to unify/flip normals. Which is esential if you are doing a lot of poly modeling.

Problem is that when you are not in edit mode, Ctrl-N is used to create a new file. (vs Ctrl-X in 2.49)

So what happens when a distracted modeller press Ctrl-N to flip normals while NOT in edit mode?

You got it. You wiped 10 minutes of work at best. 30 minutes at worst. 1 hour if you are really careless.

In fact I was wondering :
Why even have a shortcut to create new files?

Is it necessary?

If it is vital to Blender 2.5 (if someone here create a new file every 5 seconds) could it be replaced by Shift-Ctrl-N or Shift-Ctrl-X?

tushantin

Post by tushantin »

I agree with that, although Blender does warn you before doing that and doesn't revert unless you click on "Ok".

aws357

Post by aws357 »

:lol: A click happen so darn fast when you model that it all happen in the blink of an eye. Especially because blender pop the prompt right under the mouse if I am not mistaken.

Frankly, what's the point of having a shortcut for wiping everything at all?

Does anybody need to create a new file on a regular basis?

That doesn't make sense when other important things miss a shortcut.

tushantin

Post by tushantin »

XDDD At least you've brought that to our attention, so probably the next build will have it fixed. For the time being you can fix that by going to

User Preferences > Input > Window

and there's something called "Reload Startup File". You can change that to something else, or delete it entirely. Works for me!

P.S.: Also, make sure you click on "Save as Default" so it doesn't revert back the next time you start a new session.

aws357

Post by aws357 »

Ok thanks for the tip. :D

I still think Ctrl-N could be better used than for "Reload startup file/wipe all".

I don't now what exactly, but there is bound to be something more useful for this shortcut to be mapped to.

stiv

Post by stiv »

I still think Ctrl-N could be better used than for "Reload startup file/wipe all".
If you don't like it, change it. One of the design goals for 2.5x was configurable hotkeys.

SiathLinux

Post by SiathLinux »

stiv wrote:
If you don't like it, change it. One of the design goals for 2.5x was configurable hotkeys.
Which is my most favorite part of Blender 2.5x
SiathLinux

alltaken

Post by alltaken »

Yes Very Uncool shortcut!!!!

Just lost my file.

I also note that no autosave is created when doing this, and no-undo’s are possible.

Gutting, i don't know how many years I’ve been fighting for "Intelligent handling of file operations" but i gave up fighting about 8 years ago when i realised Ton was so stubborn on the issue.

Unbelievable!

P.S. I am an industrial designer by trade (interfaces are a speciality). Ton, give me a call. If someone pays for/provides my accommodation and food in the Netherlands for a year I will work for free.

Based on the discussions on the mailing list (which i somehow can't reply to) you really need someone inhouse with the management and organisational skills to manage the interface full time. I am willing to do it.

Cheers,

alltaken

Post by alltaken »

alltaken wrote: P.S. I am an industrial designer by trade (interfaces are a speciality). Ton, give me a call. If someone pays for/provides my accommodation and food in the Netherlands for a year I will work for free.
This is a real offer.

As an industrial Designer I present little value to help in the code department. However, my training and perspective on the 'design challenge' lends extremely well to helping in a constructive and collaborative way. UI design is quite indepth and requires an ongoing consistency.

I am more than happy to help rather than simply comment following something going wrong. The truth is that the UI needs a single 'key' organiser/overseer in the same way that the Coders have had leadership from a single person in the past.

I was planning to go WWOOFing next year, but would much rather use my skills and talents from my day job to help the BF out to continue to develop my favorite piece of software.

Cheers,