Optimum Blender set up in a design studio

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

robert hughes

Optimum Blender set up in a design studio

Post by robert hughes »

Can anyone suggest the best set up for using Blender in a professional design studio?

At present I am running Blender on the latest Mac tower with Snow leopard - but it seems to take forever to render out short animations that have shadow and ray tracing enabled.

I am wondering if it would be better to upgrade the RAM on my current MAC or just buy in a dedicated PC to handle this?

Can anyone suggest the best set up to get good animation results rather than having to wait days!!!!

tcw

Re: Optimum Blender set up in a design studio

Post by tcw »

I think you should upgrade your ram

stiv

Post by stiv »

Rendering is a CPU intensive task. However, if you are running low on memory and are swapping to disk that will really slow things down. Use your system monitor to check on resource use while rendering.

psullie

Post by psullie »

Rendering is Processors, the more you have the faster you can out put sequences. If you are planning on a lot of rendering I would recommend you look into either setting up an account with an on-line Render farm, or build your own with a half dozen cheap PC's (if you can, ask you network admin to set one up with your existing office PC's that can run after hours).

Alternatively, do you need ray-tracing for every frame, could you not bake all your shadows then render your sequence with simpler lighting.

SiathLinux

Re: Optimum Blender set up in a design studio

Post by SiathLinux »

robert hughes wrote:Can anyone suggest the best set up for using Blender in a professional design studio?

At present I am running Blender on the latest Mac tower with Snow leopard - but it seems to take forever to render out short animations that have shadow and ray tracing enabled.

I am wondering if it would be better to upgrade the RAM on my current MAC or just buy in a dedicated PC to handle this?

Can anyone suggest the best set up to get good animation results rather than having to wait days!!!!
I've found several truths with Blender -
1. Creating takes MEMORY
2. Rendering takes PROCESSORS (yes plural - the more the better).

That said - If your stuck on a single processor machine - make sure that NOTHING else is running in the background - let Blender have as much of that CPU as possible.

If you however, have a budget to build/buy a computer for running Blender - then I suggest a server chassis, with a 4x 4core processor board (4 chips with 4 cores each) - and 4GB of DDR2 or DDR3 memory for EACH processor.

Run Ubuntu/Kubuntu Linux on it and your Blending issues will no longer exist.
SiathLinux