slow slow slow slow ... slow interface.

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

tetsuoii

slow slow slow slow ... slow interface.

Post by tetsuoii »

I downloaded Blender 2.25 and installed it on my reasonably fast pentium 133 with accelerated Mach64 gfx card under linux... Hey, I know my computer is not state of the art, but the pulldown menus in Blender are really beyond justification.

When I click the programs menu, the program spends one full second drawing two triangles(!) on which the menu/choices thereafter appears.

C'mon! It's a simple rectangle! *Being a coder myself* I know exactly what it takes to clear a rectangle on the screen! >>> It's a very *very* simple operation.

Having seen Blender in action on faster computers, and I know that Blender technology is cutting edge in many aspects. It is truly a shame that such a powerful modelling and animation package is marred with such abysmal interface lag.

I know you all running really nice fast computers, but please consider my view... The program guzzles 133 Million cycles per second doing absolutely nothing! Thats more than a million times more than necessary in order copy a rectangle! In 3D graphics optimizations are second to none, obviously being process intensive!

tetsuoii, just trying to help, that's all....

Pablosbrain

Post by Pablosbrain »

I have the same issue on a nice fast 1.5ghz system with a gig of ram and crappy video drivers.. the interface could be a lot faster...

theeth

Post by theeth »

You downloaded the dynamic or static version?

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Pablosbrain

Post by Pablosbrain »

I'm on windows 2k.

theeth

Re: slow slow slow slow ... slow interface.

Post by theeth »

tetsuoii wrote:I downloaded Blender 2.25 and installed it on my reasonably fast pentium 133 with accelerated Mach64 gfx card under linux...
yes, but not him

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Dani

Post by Dani »

Interface is fast on Xp... Pablosbrain, are you sure you'e using the latest drivers for your card?

Dani

Pablosbrain

Post by Pablosbrain »

Yup... latest drivers... problem is its not a newer accelerated card. It has basic 3D support and when moving objects around on this specific machine it works ok... but the menus can take upwards of 3 to 5 seconds to draw each time I use a drop down or popup menu. Its very odd. I will try and get the video card specs and driver version today while I'm on that machine at work.

Hos

Re: slow slow slow slow ... slow interface.

Post by Hos »

tetsuoii wrote:C'mon! It's a simple rectangle! *Being a coder myself* I know exactly what it takes to clear a rectangle on the screen! >>> It's a very *very* simple operation.
Fix it then.

Chris

Friday13

Post by Friday13 »

Download 2.28. It solved the slow menu loading for me on my 500mhz ultra-hyper-super-duper-slow machine with a vid card that doesn't even accelerate OpenGL properly with newer drivers. On 2.28 the menus load instantly (at least on XP)

@ndy

Post by @ndy »

i also have some interface issues: all the menus are veeeery slow because the fonts need ages to built up.

- i'm using the normal fonts, not the anti aliased ones.

- everything worked fine when i was on winME, now when i switched to XP it all went mad!

- my graphics card is very new: ATI radeon 9500, with newest drivers.
it cant be the gfx card because i had the same problem on my old geforceII.

- so far, all my blender version have that.

- i'm using an AMD athlon with 1333mhz [not to mention that it cant be the pc because it WAS working properly under winME]

help!

.andy

Dani

Post by Dani »

is there any winXP stuff overlaying on blender? like that little bubble that shows your connexion speed when you connect with a dial-up? any of that non Ogl stuff overlaying?

dani who thinks he isn't really clear

@ndy

Post by @ndy »

Dani wrote:is there any winXP stuff overlaying on blender? like that little bubble that shows your connexion speed when you connect with a dial-up? any of that non Ogl stuff overlaying?

dani who thinks he isn't really clear
nope nothing here.
.andy

MattyMatt

Post by MattyMatt »

I've just installed 2.28 on 98SE (500Mhz,128MB RAM, G400 32MB) and it's UNUSABLY TREACLEY SLOW compared to 2.23 or 2.27

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

curious, I am

does blender write the menus to the front buffer, and that is what is so slow to overwrite?

I have seen it slow and fast. It seems inconsiderate of hardware accelaration (with other parts of blender), as in even if the rest of blender runs fine the menus are slow.

... and how does it choose to erase the menus? write a texture over them, or something, that is slow too. Swapping buffers would be much faster (I imagine)

I kinda want to look into this further.

Eric

Post by Eric »

If the new AA-fonts are the problem, just turn them off.