Selection questions

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

BlueEyedSea

Selection questions

Post by BlueEyedSea »

Hi, I'm not quite familiar with Blender yet and I'm teaching myself. I'm used to 3DSMax and C4D so the selection processes in Blender seem more complicated to me.

I know how to box select and I can right click faces and vertices etc. just fine, but I can only select the visible side's points. Is there a button anywhere to toggle the selection of both sides?

On a sort of unrelated note: when I left click on the screen it leaves this annoying circle on the page. What is it and how can I get rid of it?

Nikprodanov

Post by Nikprodanov »

Just use the Maya hotkey preset from the splashscreen. I've made a 3dsmax one too, but it probably doesn't work on the newer betas, because the python definitions keep changing... You can edit the hotkeys from File->User Preferences if something's bugging you.

To view the other faces (it's like "toggle backfacing" on max), you need to press the "occlude background geometry" button in the 3DView's header:

It appears only while you're in editmode.

The circle thing is called the "3D Cursor", it's used as a little marker/placeholder for XYZ coordinates when doing some specific operations. It's not a very important function and doesn't need to use the left mouse button... Just use the Maya preset - the box-selection there is configured to be proper.

caddster

Post by caddster »

Nikprodanov wrote:Just use the Maya hotkey preset from the splashscreen. I've made a 3dsmax one too, but it probably doesn't work on the newer betas, because the python definitions keep changing... You can edit the hotkeys from File->User Preferences if something's bugging you.

To view the other faces (it's like "toggle backfacing" on max), you need to press the "occlude background geometry" button in the 3DView's header:

It appears only while you're in editmode.

The circle thing is called the "3D Cursor", it's used as a little marker/placeholder for XYZ coordinates when doing some specific operations. It's not a very important function and doesn't need to use the left mouse button... Just use the Maya preset - the box-selection there is configured to be proper.
I'm new to blender, and using 2.49.2. I have searched and searched and cannot find the "occlude background geometry" (or limit selection) button. I am in edit mode, and I only have the "vertex select mode", "edge select mode", and "face select mode" buttons. Is there a setting I need to toggle for the button to appear??

Nikprodanov

Post by Nikprodanov »

Maybe your 3D View is too small, try dragging its header with the middle mouse button.

tournamentdan

Post by tournamentdan »

or how about hitting hot key z to toggle in and out of wire frame to select anything on the back side of your mesh

and the 3d cursor is kind of needed when you want to add objects so just left click off to the side to get it out of the way when you do not need it.