GUI scale is problematic when sub-windows (panels) are moved

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

aaron.newton

GUI scale is problematic when sub-windows (panels) are moved

Post by aaron.newton » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:11 pm

My apologies in advance if this is a duplicate issue, but I had a good look around the forum (also on BlenderArtists.org) and couldn't find anyone complainaing about this issue.

When I try to use the middle mouse button to scroll up and down in the properties editor (e.g. when I go to the modifiers menu for an object), the scale is greatly increased and doesn't seem to be reversible until I change to another option (e.g. object). Here is an example:

Normal

Erroneous

Other than this, Blender seems to be working normally. Its possible this is just a hotkey and I'm misunderstanding the functionality, but I haven't been able to solve this one. The only other thing of note is that I can see this error in the Blender CMD window that opens at the start:
Unable to open "C:\Users\aaron\Documents/untitled.blend": No such file or directory
The version I am using is 2.56 Beta, although I had this issue on 2.55 Beta also.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?
Aaron Newton pegasusdigitalmedia.com

Nikprodanov

Post by Nikprodanov » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:22 pm

It seems to be a bug related to horizontal UI layouts. Can you provide a step-by-step instruction on how to replicate this? Also, Ctrl+Middlemouse drag is the key combination that resizes UI items. Perhaps you did that?

As for the console message, it seems like the filepath has both forward and backslashes...

aaron.newton

Post by aaron.newton » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:32 pm

Nikprodanov wrote:It seems to be a bug related to horizontal UI layouts. Can you provide a step-by-step instruction on how to replicate this? Also, Ctrl+Middlemouse drag is the key combination that resized UI items. Perhaps you did that?

As for the console message, it seems like the filepath has both forward and backslashes...
I have a split layout with a panel at the bottom - I usually use this for properties. If I select a piece of geometry, then switch to the modifiers options, it appears normally. However, sometimes when I click and drag for the middle mouse button (or scroll) in order to see options which can't be seen (i.e. because the panel isn't tall enough to display them), the scale of the items in the panel suddenly changes like in the screenshot I sent you. So I guess the issue (keeping your note about the GUI size hotkey in mind) is that it also happens when I scroll, so I have no way of seeing options that are currently off the screen other than resizing the window. I also don't seem to be able to reverse the effect.

I've also noticed that when I swap back to another option (such as object) the items are sometimes enlarged until I scroll backwards (i.e. roll the scroll wheel down). So even if this is the hotkey, I don't seem to be able to switch back until I change options. The other thing is that it seems inconsistent - doing it some times but not others.

I'm not sure how else to explain it. I can send you a screen capture video if that helps.

Also, is there a way that I can output all (scripting) messages from Blender to a console so I can try and debug this? I know that this functionality exists in Maya for recording buttons/macros.

Nikprodanov

Post by Nikprodanov » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:42 pm

Resizing only happens if you're holding Ctrl while dragging the mousewheel (not rolling it). Does this happen when everything is set to "factory defaults"?

aaron.newton

Post by aaron.newton » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:53 am

Nikprodanov wrote:Resizing only happens if you're holding Ctrl while dragging the mousewheel (not rolling it). Does this happen when everything is set to "factory defaults"?
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

I have created a completely new file and used Load Factory Presets. I am able to confirm that I still have this problem (especially under the modifiers menu). The problem still occurs when I scroll, even if the middle mouse button (scroll wheel) hasn't been clicked.

Nikprodanov

Post by Nikprodanov » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:38 am

Do you have some kind of multi-button / special driver mouse that could be doing this? You're gonna have to do a video of this while describing which buttons are being pressed so that i can get a better idea of whats going on and see if i can replicate the same behavior here.

aaron.newton

Post by aaron.newton » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:48 pm

My mouse is so generic it's almost shameful:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouse ... px?pid=008

As a result I had never actually considered that it might be the issue.

I can see that I'm running the Microsoft Intellipoint software - I'm not sure if this could be an issue? There seems to be some related discussion here (although their problem is slightly different):

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthr ... 244&page=1

Considering that other people have had issues with mouse, I might try another mouse tomorrow (as I have none on hand) and get back to you.

As per your request, here is a video I captured. Just a note - it's not actually this glitchy for me. My Camtasia demo ran out and I used CamStudio for the first time. My interface actually runs very smoothly, and I don't see the Windows loading icon:

http://www.pegasusdigitalmedia.com/aaro ... issues.mp4

This should at least give you an idea of what I am seeing.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:12 pm

On the GUI scaling: this happens when you open old (pre Blender 2.5x) .blend files with the Loading UI option enabled. Disable that when loading (see left-hand sidebar in fileselector), and the problem is gone.

/Nathan

aaron.newton

Post by aaron.newton » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:54 pm

Problem still exists with a different mouse (non-Microsoft, not showing up under the IntelliPoint options).

I also tried un-checking the "Load UI" option. I can see that it has changed the layout of my workspace, but I'm still having the issue.

EDIT: I should also point out that this happens on new files.

aaron.newton

Post by aaron.newton » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:01 am

Thank you for your help so far.

I'm beginning to think that the only way I'm going to figure this out is to use some sort of mouse-logging software to try and figure out what is going on, see:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4835 ... g-purposes

Nikprodanov

Post by Nikprodanov » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:29 pm

That would be helpful - the problem with this is that we can't repeat the bug, even if there is something wrong there.

Coburn

Post by Coburn » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:51 am

Im having this exact same problem. I have a mouse that came with my computer (an IBuyPower mouse) and it happens when I hold the middle button and move around or just use my scroll whell (like as if I was in a long word document or something) and I get this glitchy zoom problem.

Only happens in horizontal mode. And disabling the "Don't Load UI" didn't help.

aaron.newton

Post by aaron.newton » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Nikprodanov wrote:That would be helpful - the problem with this is that we can't repeat the bug, even if there is something wrong there.
I'm not sure what to recommend here :(

aaron.newton

Follow up

Post by aaron.newton » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:21 pm

I just wanted to follow this up.

I'm no longer having this issue. I'm not sure what has changed specifically, but I am using one of the graphicall.org builds:

http://www.graphicall.org/builds/builds ... ow&id=1536