graphical tool bar for Blender 2.6

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

stajanvj

graphical tool bar for Blender 2.6

Post by stajanvj » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:06 pm

Blender is a great 3d software with great interface,i agree,especially 2.5 is far better than old blender..but I have a suggestion,if blender provide a graphical tool bar as an add on,that would be help full for the users to whom wants to migrate from other 3d software's with out any confusion and also help full for new users.Here is the two art work suggestions from me..

or link to my blog
http://www.openstudiomovement.blogspot.com/
Last edited by stajanvj on Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Founder - open studio movement based in Cochin-India to promote open source softwares like Blender, Cinelerra, Lightworks, GIMP, Inkscape ,Ardour etc...
http://openstudiomovement.blogspot.com/

blendoodler

Post by blendoodler » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:47 am

Replacing text with icons don't hurt in some cases. As you know this is a very contentious issue among users. Many are strongly against icons. I don't know why. I am in favor of them in some cases like what the image below says.

I'm still finding time to learn scripting in Blender 2.5. And the first thing I'd do is to replace those long bars of texts into square little icons with tooltips.

This is not only pleasing to the eye, it definitely has practical purpose. Foremost of which is to eliminate constant scrolling, which is becoming annoying. I'd like to see all those tools in one bird's eye view as much as possible. Bunches of icons will solve this.

You can't always rely on someone to do this for you or me. We need to learn some scripting just to be able to do these kinds of customizations. Or let's just hope someone with scripting knowledge shares our views and has already come up with this. :-|

Last edited by blendoodler on Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

stajanvj

tool bar

Post by stajanvj » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:16 am

great suggestion,thanks..
i will try scripting ,but learning and scripting will take time...if anybody will do the scripting, i will do the icon creation part..we can post it as add on.let users decide whether they need text or icon.
Founder - open studio movement based in Cochin-India to promote open source softwares like Blender, Cinelerra, Lightworks, GIMP, Inkscape ,Ardour etc...

blendoodler

Post by blendoodler » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:30 am

You don't have to come up with a poll whether users like icons or not. I'm certain that many would express their dislike over icons. These people act like they know everything, know what I mean? They're smartas***. ;-) I don't mean the devs. Users basically.

You don't need to subract anything. The keyword is OPTION. Option to add these things and not disturb anything for other users who are already entrenched in their ways. To each his own basically.

Again it's not about changing defaults, it's about ADDING OPTIONS. No need to ask smartas***es. Hehe...

blendoodler

Post by blendoodler » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:50 am

You know what, if you have time you might want to come up with a mockup like the one you posted.

This time place those icons where they should belong like where the arrows are pointing to in my image.

In the translate bar you might accommodate three to four icons : GRAB, ROTATE, SCALE, ORIGIN ICONS.

In the second line which is the Rotate bar you might accommodate DUPLICATE ICON, DELETE, JOIN, ETC.

Basically just replacing the bars of texts with icons.

I'm still looking for time to do these things and learning how scripting works is probably the first thing to do in this case.

stajanvj

Post by stajanvj » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:08 am

blendoodler wrote:You don't have to come up with a poll whether users like icons or not. I'm certain that many would express their dislike over icons. These people act like they know everything, know what I mean? They're smartas***. ;-) I don't mean the devs. Users basically.

You don't need to subract anything. The keyword is OPTION. Option to add these things and not disturb anything for other users who are already entrenched in their ways. To each his own basically.

Again it's not about changing defaults, it's about ADDING OPTIONS. No need to ask smartas***es. Hehe...
exactly what I said,If somebody upload the tool bar icon scrip as an add-on OPTION to users- just like Dynamic space bar menu ( familiar for Maya Users and very user friendly option for Blender- My opinion)

stajanvj

Post by stajanvj » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:13 am

blendoodler wrote:You know what, if you have time you might want to come up with a mockup like the one you posted.

This time place those icons where they should belong like where the arrows are pointing to in my image.

In the translate bar you might accommodate three to four icons : GRAB, ROTATE, SCALE, ORIGIN ICONS.

In the second line which is the Rotate bar you might accommodate DUPLICATE ICON, DELETE, JOIN, ETC.

Basically just replacing the bars of texts with icons.

I'm still looking for time to do these things and learning how scripting works is probably the first thing to do in this case.
Sure,give me some time.I will create the icons and accommodate it just like you said..I hope like minded developers will help us to complete the TOOL BAR ICON script..

blendoodler

Post by blendoodler » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:22 pm

Something like this:

joeri

Post by joeri » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:40 pm

Cool.

Why not just learn the shortcuts?
Saves you moving the mouse to where you dont want it.

blendoodler

Post by blendoodler » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:25 pm

Why do you assume I'm not using shortcuts?

Told ya, these are the kinds of receptions you'd receive when you post something like this. My suggestion was to learn scripting so you don't have to bother anyone.

stajanvj

short cut keys

Post by stajanvj » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:49 pm

joeri wrote:Cool.

Why not just learn the shortcuts?
Saves you moving the mouse to where you dont want it.
Yes,i agree shortcuts are time saving,but will take some time to learn and not that much easy to remember loads of shortcuts...at least for me..Basically I am an advertisement film director from India and we have a production house with studio for our editing ,compositing ,3D animation and modeling jobs..We were using proprietary software's likes adobe production studio,FCP,max for our jobs but now we are slowly migrating to open source software's- especially Blender .My 3D artists are basically trained in Max & Maya, I know Max & Maya to an extend,am not claiming am an expert..these days My crew and myself learning Blender for open source migration,what we felt that if there is a TOOLBAR ICON MENU for BLENDER would be help full for the users to whom wants to migrate from other 3d software's with out any confusion and also help full for new users.
We are getting the same response from more than 80% participants from openstudio movement seminars.So thats the feed back from the new users..
If we add TOOLBAR ICON MENU,I am sure other 3D software user can try Blender on first sight without any hesitation and they can easily migrate to blender,coz Blender is a great software with powerful features like other leading proprietary softwares..

just like blendoodler said "This is not only pleasing to the eye, it definitely has practical purpose. Foremost of which is to eliminate constant scrolling, which is becoming annoying"
and definitely this script should be an add-on,giving the OPTION to users,whether they want a scrolling text Menu or Toolbar Icon Menu..or BOTH of it

Evil Moon Moose

Post by Evil Moon Moose » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:35 am

as a previous user said, i believe there should be an option, not forced, but i actually believe this(as many first time users have told me)

many first time users are scared by a bunch of buttons that arent obvious what they are (such as 3d max) although you have tooltips, some people would like to learn by point and click measures, not find-a-specific-button-that-does-what-i-want toolbar....

although a toolbar is astheatically pleasing, it would bar many from learning, and yes, more expierenced users will probably like it more, but still, if there are no new users, eventually, Blender will be dead...again...(as i read from blenders history, back when they actually costed money)

so, i say, make it an option, but dont scare away new users, and all the users who have used blender for a long time, im sure they wouldnt mind going to the addons tab in user preferences, and setting it so that they can use the toolbar and not the Tooltab, and then saving it as they're default preference...

:D
Evil Moon Moose is my XBL Gamertag- Add Me!

Genernicolas

Post by Genernicolas » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:27 am

that's right. i think the reason why they don't put that graphical tool bar is because to make it user friendly for the beginners, as you can see blender's interface is different from other, it can be change into any format that the user like, that make it very confusing for the beginners. i think that it is the only way why for make it easy to be understand by the user.

although, graphical toolbar is a cool. it can make the UI look nicer.
-jr26

Karakasimov

Hello!!

Post by Karakasimov » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:56 pm

Hello stajanvj,
i'm basically from Ernakulam:D
Good to see you guys:D

You can find me on blenderartists.org
i mainly focous on Game Devolopment with Blender Game Engine.