For the love of everyones gods!!! PLEASE UPDATE/ADD...

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Orion_uk

For the love of everyones gods!!! PLEASE UPDATE/ADD...

Post by Orion_uk » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:09 am

Hi all,

How the heck do you merge two scenes/seperate blend files?

By this I do not mean that long winded APPEND process that (while has its uses) can be quite clumsy!

All I want is a one click solution so that two different scenes can be FULLY merged in to one without having to select multiple files/folders (esp if you need to navigate various folders loosing your previous selections along the way!)

Please ? I have viewed soO many youtube vids and searched but not found a simple (1 click) kind of solution!!

What am I missing?

I am using Blender 2.5.6 btw.
Any advice would be most welcome pleaase, thank you :) :roll: :shock:

joeri

Post by joeri » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:14 pm

If you are demanding a one click solution then why the import?
Why not "make nice animation"? That's a far more usefull single click solution.

But I know what you mean, other software has the own fileformat in the import list and lets you 'add' a file to the current one by importing it.

Still, it's not so hard as you are discribing it.

Append a scene from a file, link that new scene to your current scene, and delete the imported scene if needed.

in 2.49:
Shift-F1, select the .blend, select Scene, select the scene to append, Enter.
Browse to new scene, hit ~ to show all layers, select all objects with A.
Ctrl - L , 1, 1 ( link objects to first scene ) and press the x to delete current scene.
Hmm... Okay, it is as hard as you are discribing it.

Orion_uk

Post by Orion_uk » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:21 pm

joeri wrote:If you are demanding ...
Lol ;)

I hope it did not come over as a demand! Far be that from my wishes. The Blender community has been amazing and so generous, I would hate to offend!

Why not "make nice animation"? That's a far more usefull single click solution.
Funny , but not what I had in mind! ;)

I dont want a lazy/fast solution that requires as little input from me as possible, I love using Blender! I simply would like a time saving method to merge two completely different .blend files (that I took my time to create) in to one new .blend file.

Thanks for the reply :D

Nikprodanov

Post by Nikprodanov » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:38 pm

If you append the file's whole scene, it should merge everything without the need to select all objects one by one.

Orion_uk

Post by Orion_uk » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:10 am

Nikprodanov wrote:If you append the file's whole scene, it should merge everything without the need to select all objects one by one.
Have watched a few append vids on youtube but guess I am missing something in a key combo maybe! or just not the right vid!

If I try to select the blend file it opens other folders, I try to select all those folders but the first one i click on opens, i cant just click on .blend after choosing append and have the whole blend file contents join my current project/.blend?

Is there a key combo im missing?, please put a simpleton out of his mysery! :oops: