Fix for ATI Radeon users and blender startup problems.

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Brij

Fix for ATI Radeon users and blender startup problems.

Post by Brij »

Hey there.

The following is a fix solution for you folks(win2k/xp) on the blender interface problems with ATI Radeon(and maybe other ATI cards).

Whenver I ran 2.(27-28) I always had a problem, where the screen would just be gray. Nothing on it...the interface wouldn't work, and blender would hang.

Well to fix my problem, there were 2 solutions.
A. I go to advanced settings for the video card, and tune down that graphics performace, usually 4 notches would do it. Then when I started up blender again, it ran...but slowly.

B. Get the new Catalyst drivers from ATI. The new set seems to fix the problem. Everything runs fast and smoothly. This seems to be the best solution. Note: These new drivers were released on July 15th, 2003.

Well I hope that helps some folks out, and I hope I'm posting in the right zone.

-Brij

mmelo

Re: Fix for ATI Radeon users and blender startup problems.

Post by mmelo »

Brij wrote:The following is a fix solution for you folks(win2k/xp) on the blender interface problems with ATI Radeon(and maybe other ATI cards).
I have a problem with winxp and my radeon 9600pro in which the newer versions of Blender (the ones with antialiased menus) have all sort of corruptions in the menus. This does not happen in BlenderPublisher. Blender, however, is perfectly usable.

Does anyone get this and has been able to fix it? Please let me know.
BTW, I am running the Catalyst 3.7 drivers.

Thanks,

IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse »

You can disable the anti-aliased menus in the newer versions.

mmelo

Post by mmelo »

IoN_PuLse wrote:You can disable the anti-aliased menus in the newer versions.
>> old question:
>> I tried to find how in Blender and in this forum, but could not... how do I do that?

Found it... you have to disable international fonts. Go figure...

Thanks,

Miguel

LethalSideParting

Post by LethalSideParting »

Hmm, I don't really know if we should be recommending option A mentioned in the first post. I've done some research on that dialog, and it turns out that all it does is force Windows to use the 3D card for less and less stuff. By the time you turn it down 4 notches, I don't think you're actually using the 3D card for anything at all (which would explain why Blender ran so slow). Not really an option for anyone wanting to do some real serious work in Blender (of course this is fine if you own a nice fast shiny new processor or for those who just want to play about and aren't really bothered about doing serious work with Blender). For those who really need their 3D card's acceleration, option B is really the only way forward. :(

mmelo

Post by mmelo »

LethalSideParting wrote:For those who really need their 3D card's acceleration, option B is really the only way forward. :(
Despite circumventing the menu problem above, I still have problems since I changed from a GeForce to the Radeon, with both Catalyst 3.7 and (the brand new) 3.8.
Examples:

a) In full-screen mode, I get corruption (noise) when mouse hovers between different Blender windows;
b) Blender pop-up menus sometimes currupt (not noise, but offset images) the windows they open over;

I also noticed that for some reason I cannot load PNG's with blender 2.27 and 2.28 at my home computer (winXP, Radeon) - they appear as 0x0 sized files in preview and I get an "unknown format" on the console if I try to load then. They do load fine in BlenderPublisher at home and in my office computer (win2k, geForce) on any version.

Any ideias, anyone?

Thanks,

Miguel

IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse »

ATI drivers are bad, terrible in fact. We just need to find some kind of workaround.

dittohead

Post by dittohead »

Use real video processors/cards like Nvidia.

They support openGL.
dittohead

mmelo

Post by mmelo »

dittohead wrote:Use real video processors/cards like Nvidia.

They support openGL.
I also own a geforce and, yes, that one shows up Blender with no problems. HOWEVER, I am not convinced that a lot of the blender interface problems are due to the driver and not blender itself.

As I said, I have very little problems win BlenderPublisher. It's just the new improved post-source release stuff that seems to cause troubles...

And I still haven't figgured out the PNG problem...

LethalSideParting

Post by LethalSideParting »

I also own a geforce and, yes, that one shows up Blender with no problems. HOWEVER, I am not convinced that a lot of the blender interface problems are due to the driver and not blender itself.

As I said, I have very little problems win BlenderPublisher. It's just the new improved post-source release stuff that seems to cause troubles...
Still, you have to ask yourself: if Blender works with NVidia cards, software OpenGL and just about every OpenGL accelerator design except those made by ATI, who's in the wrong here? The Blender coders or the ATI drivers? :wink:

Brij

3rd possible fix

Post by Brij »

I've been messing around with my machine lately, trying to get this dual head ati card to work.

It seems that I've come across even more problems with ATI's 3.8 version of the catalyst drivers.

Seems the ATI Radeon VE/7000 might no work well with this driver.
basic problem is having slow(and I mean slow) menu's in Blender. For those confused no slow, well...imagine instead of just showing you the text on the Menu's, someone was sitting there typing the text for each menu item in real-time. Ya...slow.

Anyhoo, if you have xp, revert back to the "Radeon 7000/Radeon VE" drivers.

The opengl in ati's driver is crap. Softimage users are experiencing the same problems, but they can't even get into the interface.

I suppose, maybe ati should be contacted on this. I'll do it.

-Brij

mmelo

Re: 3rd possible fix

Post by mmelo »

Brij wrote:The opengl in ati's driver is crap. Softimage users are experiencing the same problems, but they can't even get into the interface.

I suppose, maybe ati should be contacted on this. I'll do it.
Thanks for doing that... I was just thinking about that possibility.

The thing is I tried 3dmax, Wings3D and Milkshape all in OGL and they all worked fine - it seemed that it was only Blender giving trouble... but now you mention SoftImage and it puts a new spin on things.

Incidently I tried to use the Mesa 3.1 drivers with Blender and they wouldn't work either (on a nVidia OR ATI card).

FYI I have a Radeon 9600 Pro...

Miguel

IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse »

The difference between Blender and other applications is that it's actually using OpenGL to draw it's interface, not just the 3D window. Which means ATI can skimp out by making all of it's OpenGL 3D stuff work, and leave the 2D functionality broken.

Desoto

Post by Desoto »

My 2d functionality isn't broken at all. My card works flawlessly. ATI Radeon 8500 LE from gigabyte with ATI drivers. No problems at all. I think there's more to it than JUST ATI's cards. I think its a combination of hardware causing the problem. But which combination remains to be seen. Some people have no issues whatsoever with ATI cards and blender, some people have dozens. Just my two cents.

mmelo

Post by mmelo »

Desoto wrote:My 2d functionality isn't broken at all. My card works flawlessly. ATI Radeon 8500 LE from gigabyte with ATI drivers.
Are you using Windows or Linux? I wouldn't know about Linux, but on my WinXP box it's very flakey... :?

BTW, I have emailed ATI complaining about the blender support. Just doing my bit. :D