Better, Cleaner Boolean Operations

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

BgDM

Better, Cleaner Boolean Operations

Post by BgDM » Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:19 pm

I have been using the Boolean operations more lately than normal and they are very, very messy. The triangulation of the mesh and the clean up required after a Boolean operation takes more time than actually modelling the object from scratch, on more complex items.

I have used the Boolean features in Lightwave and they are fantastic. Everything reverts to quads and the mesh is incredibly clean after the operation.

Can we get Blender Booleans to this level? If so, it would become one of the more poweful features of Blender and would make my life, and I'm sure, a lot of other peoples lives a lot easier.

BgDM
Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol.

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:52 pm

Lozar who devlopped the current implentation of booleans in Blender wasn't happy with it either. I believe he feels that a complete rewite (using a different algorithm) is required.
Thus it's alot of work, and not the easiest job either!

BgDM

Post by BgDM » Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:53 pm

Thanks for the info Timothy. Glad to see that it will be/is being worked on. It will be a big benefit if it can get better.

BgDM

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:32 am

oh no,.. I didn't say it is being worked on!

I just pointed out that for the boolean system to get better, it would probably have to be rewritten.
Asfar as I know noone is working on it.

Timothy

BgDM

Post by BgDM » Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:29 pm

Timothy wrote:Asfar as I know noone is working on it.
WHAT!!!? Why not? This needs to be done at some point. I understand that getting a stable version of Blender up and running is paramount first, but this is a key feature that would benefit all users.

Anyone else have some input into this?

BgDM

meestaplu

Post by meestaplu » Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:12 pm

I'm working on it, but I'm not having too much success. I was looking at integrating FreeSolid (an implementation of AABB trees) into Blender, but I ran into some problems getting the original package compiled. Apparently some files were missing from the SourceForge distribution. Then I went on vacation and nearly forgot about it, but it's been sitting in the back of my mind ever since. If anyone has any suggestions, I would like to hear them -- as of right now it looks like I don't have enough time or enough skill to really look at making serious, involved modifications to Blender. :oops: I'm not giving up, though, so maybe in the future...

Matt

Karim

Post by Karim » Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:57 pm

IMHO, CSG operations that try to pretend that Blender objects are solids is the wrong way to go.

I'd much rather see the development cycles go to enabling more advanced surface modeling techniques like Curves-on-Surface and Trims.

By projecting/intersecting surfaces to generate UV curve mapping, and then trimming to those curves, one can achieve anything that is doable with "true" CSG boolean operations, and not be limited to "solid geometry" concepts.

It would be wonderful to be able to trim two adjoining surfaces to each other, cut an eye- or button-hole out of a nurbs surface, or carve a spherical depression out of a cube... all of these would be possible with a comprehensive Curves/Trim feature set.

levon

Post by levon » Sun Aug 24, 2003 1:09 pm

i had a thought that might help with this.
if any ones used quark( the quake level editor) you should know that it uses python plugins for all the tools.
its been some time, but i think the booleans were done this way.
would it be possible to modify those tools into blender.

what would also be good is non-destructive boolean subtraction, i think light wave has it, you put an object on a seperate sub layer to the object, then select subtract or something like that.

BgDM

Post by BgDM » Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:17 pm

"BUMP"

Just wanted to know how, or if any progress was going on this subject.

BgDM