Poor viewport performance

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

TwiiK

Poor viewport performance

Post by TwiiK »

Hi, long time 3d studio user, first time blender user. :)

I'm following the Colt M4 tutorial series at Blender Cookie and now that my model is becoming fairly complex I'm experiencing exceptionally bad viewport performance. With just 200k faces my viewport performance is lacking (not sure how to tell exact fps in Blender, but it's certainly in the low 20's).

I can take the same model into 3d studio and duplicate it 20 times without it affecting performance at all.

I'm really loving Blender, but I just can't handle a slow viewport.

Am I doing something wrong or is Blender far behind in terms of viewport performance?

My system is:
- Intel 6-core @ 3,2ghz
- Nvidia 580
- 24gb ram
- Windows 7 64-bit
- Blender 2.57 @ default settings

Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha »

Try turning off all of Windows 7's fancy gui interface options. (transparency, compositing, etc..)

TwiiK

Post by TwiiK »

I've always had all that stuff turned off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT_hkSbK8Iw
Is that real? If I add the default monkey head and subdivide it my viewport becomes choppy at subdivision lvl 4 and unusable at lvl 5. That's just 500k polygons. And with a rig that could eat his for breakfast.

I'm using 3ds max 2010. Now I'm reading that 2012 has received a massive increase in viewport performance.

I never thought viewport performance would be the thing that drove me away from Blender. I think the UI is much better than 3ds max and I love the modeling features.

Edit: It's an OpenGL issue / limitation? When I switch to OpenGL in 3ds max it crawls to a stop as well.

Nikprodanov

Post by Nikprodanov »

It sounds like an OpenGL/driver issue if 3dsmax is slowing down too. Have you turned on VBOs in the user preferences? They are normally off by default.

TwiiK

Post by TwiiK »

I found and enabled VBO, but it didn't make a noticeable difference. It's faster, but not by much.

If I add a cube and subdivide it my viewport becomes slow at ~400k faces.

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthr ... can-you-go
400K faces: no problem.
1.5M faces: sluggish.

Core 2 Duo 2.6GHz
2GB RAM
Nvidia 7900GS 512MB
His system is inferior to mine. What can I try to remedy this?

Anyone else with a Nvidia 500-series gpu able to give their input?

stiv

Post by stiv »

General rule: the manufacturer's video driver does OpenGL better than the one that came with your operating system. Get it.

TwiiK

Post by TwiiK »

Well, I went here http://developer.nvidia.com/opengl-driver and clicked download. This gave me 259.31_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_international.exe which was a driver that was incompatible with my system.

But the name of the file also leads me to believe there are no dedicated OpenGL driver from Nvidia and I already have the latest driver (275.33) installed so I doubt I can do better there.

Anyone of you able to just do a quick test and tell me what you get? Is it perfectly smooth for you with for instance a cube subdivided to 400k polygons or is it laggy?

Nikprodanov

Post by Nikprodanov »

I subdivided a cube to 393,216 faces and it's at around 5fps. Subdividing once more (1,572,864 faces) gives me around 2fps, this is with VBOs on.

Videocard is Radeon HD5670.

TwiiK

Post by TwiiK »

Thanks, Nik.

Then it's not just me.

Quite a shame really. I've really come to like Blender these last few weeks. The interface is light years ahead of 3ds max, I love the modeling tools and the hotkey setup is like heaven for someone coming from the horror in 3ds max. :)

Nikprodanov

Post by Nikprodanov »

OpenGL support is usually crap with Ati cards, but you should be getting better performance with your videocard...

TwiiK

Post by TwiiK »

Well, my performance is multiples better than yours so I am getting a whole lot better performance with my videocard, but it is far from what I'd call good. :) With ~400k faces I have 15-20fps and with ~1,5mill I have 5-7fps.

When subd modeling the models I usually create in 3ds Max can be anywhere from 5-30 million faces so being able to navigate smoothly with a couple of million polygons visible at any time is important to me.

But because I liked so much else about Blender I decided to try and learn som basic rigging and animation (which I've never done before) as a direct comparison between the two programs.

Now I'm pretty sure I will start using Blender for anything low-medium poly (game related) and 3ds Max for my high poly modeling and rendering. Rigging and animation in Blender just seems infinitely more accesible to me than in 3ds Max.