Show object normals by default.

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

MaxDZ8

Show object normals by default.

Post by MaxDZ8 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:05 am

Hello,
I have the need to check a model's normals. From preliminary investigation, it seems some normals are being inverted. It seems possible they were born inverted to start with.

Now, as far as I know, to show normals in blender I have to go edit mode and then go to the properties tab 'n', where I find show face/vertex normal.
Problem is, this is per-object setting and I have quite a few objects to check.

I'd like to know if it is possible to turn on show normals for all objects in a scene or to just set up blender so in edit mode normals are shown by default.

Wet Sponge

Re: Show object normals by default.

Post by Wet Sponge » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:13 am

MaxDZ8 wrote:Hello,
I have the need to check a model's normals. From preliminary investigation, it seems some normals are being inverted. It seems possible they were born inverted to start with.

Now, as far as I know, to show normals in blender I have to go edit mode and then go to the properties tab 'n', where I find show face/vertex normal.
Problem is, this is per-object setting and I have quite a few objects to check.

I'd like to know if it is possible to turn on show normals for all objects in a scene or to just set up blender so in edit mode normals are shown by default.

Hi there,

I've had a quick fiddle around with Blender and it seems you might have to write some Python script for this, unfortunately!

I'm not so knowledgable with Python, but I'm sure there could be others here who could help you out!

For now, you might need to just take the time to check things indevidually. I understand this could take a lot of time, but by the time a solution arises you may have sorted things out by yourself. In the long run, this could be a good feature to have.

I don't see any way to do this at the moment, perhaps I'm wrong. Hopefully I am!

Geek on!

MaxDZ8

Re: Show object normals by default.

Post by MaxDZ8 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:43 pm

Ouch. This is terrible news. BTW, I'd also would like to get a better understanding on how Blender calculates the normals... supposing the normal computation works for non-manifold meshes.

Anyway, for the time being, I figured out the asset didn't even have normals at all! So I'm sidestepping the problem by going to scratch and generate appropriate explicit normals.