Translation through an edge

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Tunercito

Translation through an edge

Post by Tunercito » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:53 am

Hi everybody!!

I used 3D Max before starting with Blender and I could see that is a function that allows users to translate a vertex through an edge. What I mean is that the trajectory of the translation is the edge.

I want to use this in blender to modify the position of my vertex without modifying the orientation of the edges, but I don't know if this feature is already implemented.

Thanks a lot!!

simtron

Post by simtron » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:13 pm

Its already there in blender.

Its called Edge Slide.
In edit mode., with your edge selected, press Ctrl+E to view a menu on edge editing options.Here you can find this option with the same name.

Tunercito

Post by Tunercito » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:34 pm

And if I want to translate only a vertex through an edge??

Thanks a lot!!

simtron

Post by simtron » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:51 pm

Well I never thought of it.

So I just googled it.I found out that such feature is probably missing.But still you can achieve it in many ways.

You may have to set the 3D cursor on the point where you need to transform the vertex and then select the vertex that needs to be moved.Now press shift+s(snap menu).Here choose selection to cursor.This will bring the vertex to the point where you placed the 3D cursor.

reference:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/archive ... 42775.html

Tunercito

Post by Tunercito » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:56 pm

Ok thanks!!

Oh, one more question (I don't want to create another thread 'cause its a simple question):

How do I open a .blend file into another .blend file?, I mean, how do I merge two (or more) models into the same Blender window?

Thank you very much!

simtron

Post by simtron » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:50 pm

In blender file menu., you can see Append option.With this you can open a single entity of a blender file and bring it into current blender scene as a duplicate and edit it.You will see various categories of entities like lamp,objects,mesh,material,... in fileopen menu if you select a blend file. You can select the entity from these groups.You will understand if u try appending an entity from a .blend file.

Instead if you want to just access the model from other .blend file and dont want to change it in any way you can use Link option.

Honestly I didn't use both of them frequently.I have confidence in Append option description.
Also for multiple object import use shift + select.