Windows 2000

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

apinkerfloyd

Windows 2000

Post by apinkerfloyd »

I'm one of the low-income people that has not yet upgraded from Windows2000 to XP. Also, I don't need all the "bells and whistles" with the upgrade from 2000 to XP.

When Blender was upgraded from 2.49 to 2.5 I was able to run the alpha version on Windows 2000. Now with the latest release I cannot run because there is a conflict in the kernel (i.e., it is looking for XP).

I just wanted to post this to make sure that I'm not doing something wrong in my setup. Is there a way to run Blender 2.58a on Windows 2000?

stiv

Post by stiv »

I am guessing our platform builders are using a newer version of the Microsoft compiler or the system libraries are different. Your best bet is probably either finding a compatible build somewhere like graphicall, or compiling blender yourself.

It may be possible to get an updated runtime from Microsoft, but I do not know.

apinkerfloyd

i tried

Post by apinkerfloyd »

i tried downloading versions from graphicall -- all the same --- they are looking for win xp ... i would hate to upgrade my o/s with all my data just to use the new version of blender - why fix it if it ain't broken? :)

stiv

Post by stiv »

An annoying situation. Being naive, I would expect Blender to still run on win2k if compiled for that platform.

Assuming you do not want to compile it yourself (it's an adventure!), the only clever suggestions I have are find someone to do it for you (maybe ask on the artist forums at blenderartists.org ) or possibly run Blender from a live Linux CD. A live CD does not need to be installed. Mint Linux is supposed to be nice.

apinkerfloyd

I guess I'm stuck with Blender 2.49

Post by apinkerfloyd »

Well there are some people who just don't have $ to upgrade to another O/S. And I would rather spend my time creating and not compiling and all the business that goes along THAT...so hopefully someone will see this thread and create a build of 2.58 that will run on Windows 2000. I digress.

Nikprodanov

Post by Nikprodanov »

It used to work fine on Win2K, perhaps it's something python related? Or it could be that the MSVC libraries need updating.

stiv

Post by stiv »

From a discussion about Win2k builds on the Blender development mailing list:
The current keyboard code (by jesterking I think) and upcoming 3D mouse support (by me) both rely on the Windows RawInput API, which only works on XP or newer. Far as I know, that is the only hard technical reason blocking a Win2000 build.
Bottom line: there is a technical reason blocking Win2k builds. To fix it, someone would need to make patches to the GHOST input layer.

Note to Space Navigator fans: 3D mouse support - he is talking about you!