Basic feature requests:

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Karim

Basic feature requests:

Post by Karim »

1) As I build more and more complex scenes, I'm starting to rely more and more on the layers for organizing objects.

For example, if I have a really complex particle system, I'll put it on one layer and turn it off for general editing so I don't bog my machine down.

It would be nice if we could label the layers, in the same way we can label objects.

Just off the top of my head, the label could show up in the tooltip when you hover over the layer button (after all... after the 3rd time I've used the layer button, I don't need to see "Toggles Layer Visibility" anymore)-- that way the current GUI layout could be preserved.

It seems like this would be a fairly easy change to make.

2) This one frustrates me to no end: I should be able to operate on multiple objects at once fr simple assignment operations.

For example... I have 10 objects that I want to assign the same material to. I select them using B and pick the material... Presto! Only one object is assigned! GAH! If I have multiple objects highlighted, the action should apply to all of them.

Other operations that should apply to all selected objects:

Decimator, Layer assignment (in the edit buttons... I know about "M"), Subsurf, AutoSmooth, Draw Type

Basically, any operation that works on objects (not in edit mode) should apply to groups of objects.

Delete works this way... why not the above??

Thoughts?

ilac

Re: Basic feature requests:

Post by ilac »

Karim wrote:1) As I build more and more complex scenes, I'm starting to rely more and more on the layers for organizing objects.

For example, if I have a really complex particle system, I'll put it on one layer and turn it off for general editing so I don't bog my machine down.

It would be nice if we could label the layers, in the same way we can label objects.

Just off the top of my head, the label could show up in the tooltip when you hover over the layer button (after all... after the 3rd time I've used the layer button, I don't need to see "Toggles Layer Visibility" anymore)-- that way the current GUI layout could be preserved.

It seems like this would be a fairly easy change to make.
I'd like to see that too. I had done this mock-up (Scroll down to second half of the page) quite a while ago.

No one ever expressed an opinion about it, or said if it was feasable, desired, etc!! Mah! :?

http://uk.geocities.com/ilac1004/Ideas.htm

Karim

Post by Karim »

Iliac, that's exactly what I was thinking.

It seems to me that this is just one of those things that one expects to be able to do in a modern application. Just because every other app can do it doesn't mean it's a bad thing! :)

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore »

fer materials: select one object, give material. B select all objects, ctrl-L, make links: material

nice ideas anyway ;)

soletread

Post by soletread »

I think this situation is a good example of 2 things:

1) There is a lot of functionality in Blender hiding behind the hotkeys. Even scanning the hotkey docs only gives clues. A lot of requests come through for existing functionality. (Alghough Karim's suggestion does go beyond just materials - subsurf limitations is a huge thing for me at the moment)

2) The coders vs users debate. A lot of ideas are just not feasible in Blender, those that are have to inspire a coder. I am a non-Blender coder :lol: If I am coding something for free, I need to be inspired to do it, its just human nature. I think many useful features are just not very inspiring to impliment. I think a more comprehensive Python API would solve some of these problems (but that would be off topic here)

Nice ideas Karim and ilac.

Thanks Carnivore for pointing out the linking. Never knew about that :roll:

----------