Face Loop Selection problem using a Mac 1 button mouse

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

JoMo

Face Loop Selection problem using a Mac 1 button mouse

Post by JoMo »

Hi - I'm working through the excellent tutorials, having just downloaded the latest version of Blender.

I have used other 3d packages before, so I am in the conversion phase, rather than being a complete newbie.

Lots of conflicting/old advice on the forums about Mac mouses.

I am using a one button mouse on OSX MacBook Pro.

I have 'Emulate 3 Button Mouse' selected in prefs.

It ain't doing what the tutorial says, and I know I'm going to need loop selection as a basic tool. Any clues?

Hope someone can help![/b]

Drump

Post by Drump »

Yeah, I have a similar problem with Mac mouse, too. Besides, I'm a total newbie, so I don't know what to do with this.
Last edited by Drump on Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoMo

Post by JoMo »

Drump,

Hi, I didn't get any answers on the forum (as you can see), so I contacted Neal Hirsig, who created the tutorials, via email. I believe he must also be a Mac user from the menu bar on the tutorials. His answer was short and sweet:

'Get a 3-button mouse. I would not use Blender without one.'

So, I gritted my teeth and bought a Logitech 3 button PC mouse. This has cured all the problems (don't forget to switch off 'Emulate 3 Button Mouse'!)

Since then I've made good progress. I also recommend checking out Andrew Price's tutorials at Blender Guru if you get a chance. His 'Wow Factor' tutorial is really good. He also has a downloadable cheat sheet for key commands.

Also, if you buy a wireless PC mouse you can still have your Mac mouse plugged in at the same time for other apps- they doesn't seem to clash. The PC mouse I bought feels clunky and cheap in comparison (although it wasn't), so I switch back to the ultra sleek Mac mouse when I'm using Photoshop and Illustrator.

Hope this helps.

killpotts

Post by killpotts »

What Jomo said is correct. Buy a good 3+ button mouse. There is no other solution other than using a third party program to map additional mouse buttons to your keyboards.

I recommend Razor Deathadder.