Selection location

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

stephelton

Selection location

Post by stephelton »

I've got a number of OBJ files that I am working with on a game I'm developing. To achieve certain effects, I need to know the positions of certain features on these models (for example, I need to know the positions of the engine so that I can create a flame effect in the game.)

I'm hoping there is a way I can get blender to do this: what I want is to select a point (a vertex, if it must be) and blender provide me with the location. Ideally it wouldn't be a vertex, but I'll take what I can get.

I'm using blender 2.49, and would be using a later version if it worked (an unrelated issue.)

If blender can't do this, can you recommend a free tool that would suffice?

Thanks!

stephelton

Post by stephelton »

After playing around a bit more, i found the "Transformation Properties" feature. In a 3d view, select Mesh -> Transformation Properties. In edit/vertex mode, this gives the transformation of a single vertex; in face mode it will give the median location of a single face.

This will solve 95% of my problem, but there may be times where I need a point on a face that is not at the median. What I'd really need in this case is the ability to click at any point on the face and know the location where I clicked (on the face.) Can I accomplish this?

Thanks!

Nikprodanov

Post by Nikprodanov »

Use the 3D Cursor for that. It's a little clunky, but go into texture paint mode and ctrl+click on the face location so it sticks the 3D cursor to the face's surface.

stephelton

Post by stephelton »

Perfect. Thanks for the tip. In paint mode, to see the location of the cursor, go to View -> View Properties.