Tohopuu2 and mirroring

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Desoto

Tohopuu2 and mirroring

Post by Desoto »

Apparently the new build of Tohopuu as replaced its scaling system in such a manner so that the trick of mirroring an object using Alt + S; x, has been destroyed. I nearly put this suggestion on the feature request section, but I decided to make the proposition first.

In the edit buttons group (F9) there should simply be a mirror button (the command would also appear on the W context menu) which performs the function of multiplying the coordinates of any object by the matrix required for reflecting it over the desired axis. No only would this rid us of the issue of normals flipping with resultant black faces in the preview, but it would be a big usability improvement as well.

I scoured the forums with the search function first for anything relating to this suggestion so that I didn't say again what has already been said, so if I have done, its only because I failed to read every thread that's been posted, not because I didn't check to see if its been suggested before. I hope someone can do something productive with the idea, and if necessary, I can even write up some of the math to make it easier to implement. That doesn't mean I'll code it, but I could try if directed toward the right spot to stick it. Thanks.

alien-xmp

Post by alien-xmp »

You should be able to mirror with: S, X, X, -, 1, ie scale, constrain X axis, scalefactor -1.0.

matt_e

Post by matt_e »

It's not very efficient though and quite un-userfriendly (impossible to find by 'exploring'). It would be nice to have a single button/menu entry/whatever that would just flip the matrix or whatever and mirror it. It would also alleviate the annoying 'must keep the mouse perfectly still' thing, too. As it is though, the transform() function doesn't seem to be able to take set values as input, so it would probably take a bit of hacking.

ilac

Post by ilac »

broken wrote:It's not very efficient though and quite un-userfriendly (impossible to find by 'exploring'). It would be nice to have a single button/menu entry/whatever that would just flip the matrix or whatever and mirror it. It would also alleviate the annoying 'must keep the mouse perfectly still' thing, too. As it is though, the transform() function doesn't seem to be able to take set values as input, so it would probably take a bit of hacking.
Hey Broken!

What about the addition of a 'Toolbox' to the 3D viewport in the new interface? Tools like Grab, scale, rotate, knife, cut loop, mirror, extrude etc, could all be there. :D

matt_e

Post by matt_e »

ilac wrote:Tools like Grab, scale, rotate, knife, cut loop, mirror, extrude etc, could all be there. :D
Oh, you mean something like this? ;)

BTW: if you want to contact me personally, please use email or something. I know your idea is kind of on-topic to this thread, but it's a very fine distinction and it's not good to hijack other threads to another topic (yes I'm guilty of this too) :)

By the way, Desoto, the code you're looking for is the transform() function in editobject.c . Feel free to have a look, however you'll need to look in tuhopuu2 - the function's quite different to in the bf-blender tree due to all theeth's hard work on it. This also means the code in there is changing rapidly right now, so if you have an idea on how or would like to implement something like this, I'd advise talking to theeth about it first.

ilac

Post by ilac »

broken wrote:BTW: if you want to contact me personally, please use email or something. I know your idea is kind of on-topic to this thread, but it's a very fine distinction and it's not good to hijack other threads to another topic (yes I'm guilty of this too) :)
Don't worry, I hate hi-jacking threads too! The toolbox idea came to me when I was trying to figure a possible new way to implement mirroring so it was very much on topic (In my head)! :P

broken wrote:
ilac wrote:Tools like Grab, scale, rotate, knife, cut loop, mirror, extrude etc, could all be there. :D
Oh, you mean something like this? ;)
Not sure if you attached the right file but that's a menu! (Which I do like a lot :D ) but what I meant was an actual Toolbox or Toolbar ala photoshop which would be constantly present in the 3D viewport, possibly running down a side. For such tools like Mirror, buttons make more sense to the workflow than menu's as they are quite similar to using Hotkeys. ie 1-click to access the tool. Menu's require more than 1-click and possibly even browsing - which interupts the workflow for more experienced users!