Loop & Ring Portion Selection

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

CyberGolem

Loop & Ring Portion Selection

Post by CyberGolem »

Hello Blenders,

I've worked with other programs that allow portion-selection (for lack of a better term) of a loop/ring by first selecting an individual edge/face/vertex, then by clicking on one further down a loop or ring will select all of the components between the two selections.

Does something like this exist in Blender? Currently I only know how to select an entire loop/ring first [alt + R-click] then deselect unwanted edges, or having to individually click on components to add them to a selection set.

My apologies if my user language is alien to you but I'm transitioning from other programs and I'm still in the midst of learning the verbology of Blender.

Thanks,
--CG

Coalmine

Re: Loop & Ring Portion Selection

Post by Coalmine »

CyberGolem wrote:Hello Blenders,

I've worked with other programs that allow portion-selection (for lack of a better term) of a loop/ring by first selecting an individual edge/face/vertex, then by clicking on one further down a loop or ring will select all of the components between the two selections.

Does something like this exist in Blender? Currently I only know how to select an entire loop/ring first [alt + R-click] then deselect unwanted edges, or having to individually click on components to add them to a selection set.

My apologies if my user language is alien to you but I'm transitioning from other programs and I'm still in the midst of learning the verbology of Blender.

Thanks,
--CG
Hi, I'm also new to blender, but I think we're at the same level right now. Learning Unit #2 in the 3D Design Course? You're trying to find out how to make the Torus ring skinny?

With the entire Torus mesh selected in edit mode, look at the "Mesh Tools" menu in the upper left. Near the top, there should be a button in the "Transform" portion of the menu labeled "Shrink/Flatten." I believe that's what you want (since I had a hell of a time looking for it).
How come awesome action movies are usually so stupid, vapid, or boring? Everyone did such good work, except the writer.

Coalmine

Re: Loop & Ring Portion Selection

Post by Coalmine »

CyberGolem wrote:Hello Blenders,

Thanks,
--CG
And in case I misinterpreted what you were saying earlier, since I think you're saying something completely different now.

SHIFT+ALT+R-click allows you to select and deselect multiple edgeloops / faces.
How come awesome action movies are usually so stupid, vapid, or boring? Everyone did such good work, except the writer.

CyberGolem

Post by CyberGolem »

Thank you Coalmine. I really appreciate your reply.

Funny enough I already knew about that particular method—which only allows adding single selections—but your suggestion sparked a keyboard exploration and I discovered how to do it by holding CTRL & R-Clicking edges. It works like a charm for selecting portions of edge loops, but as far as I can tell it's only limited to edge loops and doesn't do rings, verts or even faces. It's a slight modification from my previous workflow but not too difficult to relearn.

--CG