Emotion FX .xac format import/export

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Jopo

Emotion FX .xac format import/export

Post by Jopo » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:37 pm

Ok, I became familiar with this format when I tried modding a Paradox Interactive game, Hearts of Iron 3, which uses the Emotion FX .xac format for its 3d models.

Now, as far as I know there are no import/export plug-ins available for any of the 3d modeling programs like 3ds max or Blender, so obviously there is a need for such scripts and plug-ins.

The question is, can we make a working .xac importer/exporter?

I already sent an email to the creators of Emotion FX stressing the need for import/export plug-ins, but so far I have gotten no reply.

So, if they won´t make one, can we do it on our own?

Currently it is impossible for me or anyone else to access the 3d files of Hearts of Iron 3 since we don´t have Emotion FX and a license for that program costs over 10.000 euros, so it is mainly for corporations who can afford such sums. All the rest of us will have to rely on importing/exporting to other programs.

So, I would like to make a request for the community to make a Blender import/export tool that would allow one to access Emotion FX files.

Thank you.

Cheers!

stiv

Post by stiv » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:43 pm

Currently it is impossible for me or anyone else to access the 3d files of Hearts of Iron 3 since we don´t have Emotion FX and a license for that program costs over 10.000 euros, so it is mainly for corporations who can afford such sums. All the rest of us will have to rely on importing/exporting to other programs.
Writing import/export scripts is relatively easy - once you know the file format (yes, Collada is an exception). The basic problem here sounds like a proprietary format. Usually, in these cases, you have the added complication of a software license that prohibits reverse-engineering the format.

Jopo

Post by Jopo » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:14 pm

Yes, Emotion FX is a commercial grade program, but I´m not sure whether it is a 3d modeling program or an animation program as software houses may use other programs like 3d studio max to make their models and they then export them into Emotion FX format. So there must exist an exporter program that can convert 3d models from other programs to Emotion FX format, but so far I have found no such program freely available.

My question is; Can the Blender community ask permission from the developers of Emotion FX to make an export/import facility for Blender? Either the community can make the converter with the developers permission or the developers of Emotion FX can release one themselves if they want to avoid having their program reverse-engineered.

As I said, I sent an e-mail to the developers of Emotion FX concerning this matter but got no reply. Perhaps an official mail from the Blender community would get a response?

I can only stress that a converter facility is badly needed as several games use Emotion FX formats for their files and hence a converter is required for modding.

Cheers!

stiv

Post by stiv » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:49 pm

Can the Blender community ask permission from the developers of Emotion FX to make an export/import facility for Blender?
The Blender community is YOU! Keep banging on them until you get a response. Be nice, be persuasive. They will be open to the idea if it is in their best interests.

Jopo

Post by Jopo » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:24 pm

Ok, so I will keep sending them e-mails about a converter, but what arguments can I use to persuade them? How can I convince them that it is in their best interests to allow a converter to be made?

One argument that I can come up with is that allowing a converter will open up the format for games modders and that will prolong the life of their customers games, so it is in the best interests of their customers and them to allow it.

gabrieljsmith1

WE ARE LOOKING FOR THE SAME THING

Post by gabrieljsmith1 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:18 pm

Jopo wrote:Ok, so I will keep sending them e-mails about a converter, but what arguments can I use to persuade them? How can I convince them that it is in their best interests to allow a converter to be made?

One argument that I can come up with is that allowing a converter will open up the format for games modders and that will prolong the life of their customers games, so it is in the best interests of their customers and them to allow it.
we actually paid for the emotion fx engine and need this plugin as well - you have any luck?

stiv

Post by stiv » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:14 pm

To me, this is one of the fundamental problems with commercial software. Unlike some of our more ideological fellows, I have no problem paying for value - as long as I can get *my* data in and out of the program. Proprietary data formats are Evil(tm).