YAFR (Yet another feature request) - Quotes welcome

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ideasman

YAFR (Yet another feature request) - Quotes welcome

Post by ideasman »

Here is a list of things that I need blender to be able to do-

:arrow: Mipmap UV textures in image window and background pic.
(4096x4096 runs 1 fps update on an ATI 9800 pro)

:arrow: Sub pixel placement, blender supports uv mapping that is between pixels (can be set via the N Key) but when you move a point it snaps to the pixel locations.
This means that you cant use a low res image in place of a hi res image to speed up mapping because you loose precission.

:arrow: I also do a lot of vertex painting, here are some things I could use (could be added to vertpaint putton view)

:arrow: Blur vert colours (would blur with colours of faces joining to each other)

:arrow: Tint (Would tint all selected faces the current colour) This one is a bit like the gammut adjustment but you would just change the colour to be 5% more like the current one.
If you het it a number of you faces would become green blue, whatever.
If the colour was white grey or black (eg- no colour saturation) the Tint button could remove colour from the object.

:arrow: HSV Sliders for vertex paint and light colour setting, sounds trivial but its a pain when you need to make 3 sliders 4% lighter, just when painting different shades of grey.

:arrow: A clean up mesh function, this could be added the the deleate menu of make a new menu item.
Clean up mesh function>>
>- Remove verts that are not connected to any edges/faces
>- Remove edges not a part of a face
>- Remove edges with zero length
>- Remove faces with zero area
>-Triple non planer faces.

:arrow: X & Y offset for bg image, Theeth has done this but it has not been included.

:arrow: Object statistics- Num of verts, number of edges, number of faces (quad & tri), surface area of all faces Size of object bounding box.

Eric

Post by Eric »

theeth

Re: YAFR (Yet another feature request) - Quotes welcome

Post by theeth »

ideasman wrote: :arrow: X & Y offset for bg image, Theeth has done this but it has not been included.
I was waiting until the GUI makeover is done with to integrate it. That's done, so I can get it done now.
:arrow: Object statistics- Num of verts, number of edges, number of faces (quad & tri), surface area of all faces Size of object bounding box.
You can already get the number of verts, edges and faces in the Info window header. Surface area and size of bounding box would take some calculations (a lot less for bounding box), but it shouldn't be too hard. If nobody wants to do this, I could see what can be done when I'm done on the constraint code makeover.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Desoto

HSV Sliders on Vertex Paint

Post by Desoto »

Vertex Paint HSV color selection - Done.

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

Thanks!
Is the code contributed to the CVS?
Do you have a binary?

- Cam

IoN_PuLse

Re: YAFR (Yet another feature request) - Quotes welcome

Post by IoN_PuLse »

ideasman wrote:(4096x4096 runs 1 fps update on an ATI 9800 pro)
Running under Linux or Windows? ATI's drivers or not? I can tell you that I've used Blender with a 9800 pro before, and using Blender with a Geforce2 was faster.

Ok that's a bit of an exaggeration, but my GeforceFX 5600 DEFINITELY runs it MUCH faster.

Oh and under Linux both cards are way way faster as well.

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

The speed of the UV mapping update depends on the zoom level of the UV/Image window.
Zoomed to 1:1 or closer - Update is fast, but when the whole image is zoomed out, the update is very slow.

I think that mipmapping would speed things up.

Exact FPS depends on what is going on in other windows- if any other images are loaded it slows down also as well so you might not get 1 fps.

Yep my drivers are fine- Using 2048x2048 works fine and the zoom level as I have sead.

The problem is not the drivers, I have Linux and windows, ATI9800 & NVIDIA FX 5600 - Both run fas in aopenGL applications. Its just with UV Mapping large textures.

Also once the UV/Image window is removed, everything runs fine.
Even though the large image is visibly UV Mapped on other objects.