set solid set smooth autosmooth split up into two pads!!!

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

cekuhnen

set solid set smooth autosmooth split up into two pads!!!

Post by cekuhnen » Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:51 pm

hi

i dont know why the set solid set smooth button is inside the link material pad is and autosmooth is inside the mesh pad.

doesnt it make more sence to move set solid and smooth to the mesh pad as well?

claas

Monkeyboi

material buttons

Post by Monkeyboi » Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:57 pm

Yes you are right... This is one of many illogical buttonplacements in 2.30. How about Edge and Edge Settings (renderbuttons) being in the Output panel? Now that is also really strange!

I hope the coders will review the button placements and announce when they would like to see suggestions on how Blenders buttons should be rearranged.

Here is my suggestion on how to reorganise the materialbuttons: Image

Please take a little time to look at the changes.

Here is a very brief explanation of the changes:

I belive something similar could be done with the edit buttons to organise them more logically (both as to where in the panel they are displayed, but also as to wich panel they are in, as your complaint was about).

-Monkeyboi
Last edited by Monkeyboi on Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:59 pm

Yes you are right... This is one of many illogical buttonplacements in 2.30. How about Edge and Edge Settings (renderbuttons) being in the Output panel? Now that is also really strange!

I hope the coders will review the button placements and announce when they would like to see suggestions on how Blenders buttons should be rearranged.

Here is a mockup of my suggestions on how to reorganise the materialbuttons: Image

Please take a little time to look at the changes.

Here is a very brief explanation of the changes:

I belive something similar could be done with the edit buttons to organise them more logically (both as to where in the panel they are displayed, but also as to wich panel they are in, as your complaint was about).

-Monkeyboi

Monkeyboi

oops

Post by Monkeyboi » Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:00 pm

Sorry about double posting..
Last edited by Monkeyboi on Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Sun Nov 02, 2003 8:10 pm

My rant - some sliders are terribly small and therefore inaccurate.
Monkeyboi - IMO the dropdown menus are not a good idea. It makes more sense for the user at first glance if there is a group of specific options visible. Read through the GUI docs, there are bound to be tons of reasons listed why they desiged the GUI the way they did.

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Sun Nov 02, 2003 8:10 pm

Monkeyboi - IMO the dropdown menus are not a good idea. It makes more sense for the user at first glance if there is a group of specific options visible. Read through the GUI docs, there are bound to be tons of reasons listed why they desiged the GUI the way they did.

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:54 pm

The mapping drop down would not work because you need to input text to refer to the name of an object (this field has been removed.)

Monkeyboi

material

Post by Monkeyboi » Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:16 pm

Can you please point me to a place saying dropdown menus are bad? I think they add clearness to the interface. It looks a lot less cluttered and you have space to write full names like "Original coordinates" instead if "Orco", and to write a little header (in this case "Coordinates") that give you an idea of what the drop down menu is for.

Besides, dropdown menus are already in use many places in Blender. The shaders menu in the same window, for example is a drop down menu - even in 2.28.
In other software they use dropdown menus extensively wich works well. In Sofimage XSI for for example, they also use them for choosing mapping methods, which works well.

Another advantage of dropdown menus is that it is easier to add new features. If you were to add a new mapping type with toggle buttons, you would have to completely reorganise the panel to make the new buitton fit.
there are bound to be tons of reasons listed why they desiged the GUI the way they did
I like Blender too you know, but it can always be improved. It is not healthy to see the way they did the interface as 'always the right idea', because (as many have admitted), there is still plenty of room left to improve consistency, workflow, ease of use and to place the buttons more logically.

The mapping drop down would not work because you need to input text to refer to the name of an object (this field has been removed.)
Yes I'm aware of this. I think I will make an update with the text field put back in. The text field should be grayed out whenever you have not chosen Object as the texture coordinates.

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:46 am

Not alot of attention has been payed to the button arrangements yet due to lack of time, but you can be sure that this will be looked at over the comming versions of Blender.

I suggest comming of with nice proposals for button placements in Blender (like you did above) and post them to the funboard. So either you or anyone else can get some actual work done on the button placements in Blender.

Timothy

beatabix

Post by beatabix » Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:31 pm

Edge settings are in the output panel because they are an output level option.

Currently they are set per render, not per object.

Those edges are really lame anyway. They are about the most rudimentary line renderings that you could possibly make.

later
BEAT