UV Mapping Newbie

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

xamublack

UV Mapping Newbie

Post by xamublack » Wed May 16, 2012 5:14 am

Hey you all. I am trying to do some basic exporting into Unity and for that I need to export my 'UV Layout' and apply some textures to it in Photoshop.

The shape that I need to unwrap is a flattened cube with sides that are say 4x4x1.

Whenever I mark my seams and unwrap it I get the perfect 'T' shape you are supposed to, but all 6 of the sides are exactly square and not to the scale of my 4x4x1 cube so I cannot apply accurate textures to it.

I tried to use 'Follow Active Quads' and 'Project From View' instead of Unwrap but haven't found anything that I can get to work.

Any help would be great.

wretch1958

Post by wretch1958 » Wed May 16, 2012 7:48 am

I don't know if this is exactly what you want, but for me I have found the most control over mapping a cube is to mark all the edges as seams, unwrap, then in the UV editor window (in the button panel for UV selection and display mode) select "island selection mode" (the last of 4 buttons on that panel). Then you can resize any of the islands (= correspond to the faces of the cube) however you want.

One glitch for me: sometimes even in island selection mode some of the islands seem to want to stay attached at one point or one edge. I have found that if I extrude one face of the cube very slightly then unwrap as above, the islands (there are now 4 extra very thin islands you can ignore) become more independent.

xamublack

Post by xamublack » Fri May 18, 2012 2:59 am

Thanks Wretch. I tried that and it may help in the future but maybe not so much with this particular problem. I'm having a hard time conveying my issue, so I think I will repost with it phrased differently and perhaps a screenshot. Have been fighting with this for a week or two :(