Mousewheel for number button manipulation

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

not_today

Mousewheel for number button manipulation

Post by not_today »

Greetings, Blender Friends,

I have never really gotten used to click-and-dragging on a number button to manipulate its value. What are some thoughts on using the Mousewheel+Shift as an alternative to LMB on the left or right edge of the button? Mousewheel+Shift+Ctrl could also be used as an alternative to Ctrl+LMB. This is not a replacement suggestion, just an alternative to coexist with the current interface.

Heck, while I'm dreamin', why not skip the Shift key altogether and just Mousewheel or Ctrl+Mousewheel while just pointing at the button?

If coded to happen only when pointing at a number button, I don't believe it would conflict with anything else. Doing the same actions outside the number button would just do the usual scroll/zoom stuff. I've compiled the CVS source and have been tinkering with some of the event handlers--it doesn't look like it would be a simple three-liner, but I'm gonna keep trying. Just wanted to hear some thoughts on the idea if anyone's got any. Maybe some of the Blender coders out there who see the whole of the iceberg whose tip I'm chipping at can slap me upside the head before I waste anymore time ;)

not_today

Auteuro

Post by Auteuro »

This was one of the big "non-standard" things about Blender that had me puzzled when I first started. I've never seen another app on Windows or Linux that has a click/drag on a button to change a value. It may help the newbies who just want to jump in and play with stuff (it would have helped me). The wheel may also give more accuracy during input than dragging and is less work than clicking several times to move, say, 7 frames or so.

Auteuro

jd-multi

Post by jd-multi »

We can't do that I think, because many people don't have 3 mouse buttons. I asked many computer shops how fast 3 mous button mouses have a not working middle mouse button. And they said, that the middlemouse button will not work afther intensive use afther 2 a 3 years. So I think we can add a feature to let people config there mouse, like when they have a mouse with 3 buttons, they click that button, and then they can use the middlemouse. Else people can still use blender with only a mouse with 2 buttons. So keep blender usable for everyone and not only for people with 3 mouse buttons. 8)

koxinga

Post by koxinga »

for the people with a two buttons mouse, it won't change anything... Or you want to remove the old way to do that ? I think both of them should be possible

not_today

Post by not_today »

koxinga wrote:Or you want to remove the old way to do that ? I think both of them should be possible
Oh no, I definitely don't want to remove anything. I don't want to shut anyone out. It's just an addition to what's already there. Sorry if I wasn't clear at first--I know the original post was a little lengthy...the idea had been bugging me for a while, so I had to unleash it. :wink: