Further Interface Improvement proposal - NEW: UV Editing

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse »

coooooooooooool

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi »

Broken wrote: While we're requesting stuff, there's a feature that I love to use in Shake, which uses 2 buffers, just like Blender's render window.

There is a slider that you can use to check the buffers against each other, which is great for comparing different techniques, settings etc. By dragging the slider, you change what portion of the render window shows buffer A, and what portion shows buffer B.
Ok, I'll see if I understand. You first render one image, and then you render a second and you can then compare the two afterwards? Or did I misunderstand?
Yes that seems to be quite useful in a way.. But actually I am not sure I am am understanding. You say Blenders render window uses two buffers? Is that like two passes? I am not so familiar with the technical side of how the render window works under the bonnet.

kAinStein

Post by kAinStein »

Hmmm... The two progress bars look some kind of weird... You have already Blender telling you how far is the progress going with an animation - just add "Frame x/ n" - I don't know what people think, but for me it would be enough having just one progress bar or percentage counter that tells me how the current frame is going.
Monkeyboi wrote: Yes that seems to be quite useful in a way.. But actually I am not sure I am am understanding. You say Blenders render window uses two buffers? Is that like two passes? I am not so familiar with the technical side of how the render window works under the bonnet.
Tell if I am wrong, but I think there are 9 render buffers. You would have to specify 2 buffers you want to compare in that way first. But the idea is really good, Broken.

matt_e

Post by matt_e »

9? As far as I know, there are two render buffers. You can toggle between them in the render window by pressing J.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Broken: This is funny. A couple of days ago I wanted to make a proposal for a image comparison mode. I was to busy and decided to postpone it.
And then I saw your post and it got me started. :D
I have used this tool a lot in 3ds max and I find it very useful to compare different lighting situations, materials etc.

In my proposal the image comparison is integrated with the UV/Image editor. I think it's the most intuitive place.
The two following images shows how the mode could coexist with the UV/Image editor. The images should be pretty self-explanatory. If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Regards
Kasper

And then the proposal:

kAinStein

Post by kAinStein »

I had a look at your realtime buttons proposal. Yes, they should get the new look, too. But you forgot to add the 'x' for deleting the logic bricks in your mockup. They could be added into the top right corner - yeah, leave the arrow on the left side to keep it like the other gui elements.

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

Like the 2 buffered compare tool. It could eat some memory tho so I think thered need to be a (keep previous) option in the render view.

I used to use the border render because it overlayed the border area on the previously rendered area but this had been disabled recently.

Thumbs up from me ;) - But then again I do reltime stuff now.

virgil66ro

Post by virgil66ro »

Why not create a new window type for render result?

:)

blendermax

Post by blendermax »

ive been thinking that it might be useful to have tabs in several places in blender instead of buttons. heres my quick & ugly 5 minute mock-up (i think its self-explanatory, so i wont comment it):

edit: by the way, im planning to make a mock-up other areas too.

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi »

virgil66ro wrote:Why not create a new window type for render result?
Well, I can't really see the point of this - Blender already has a window, the render window, which shows the result of rendered images. I think it would be nice to expand on that window we already have.

Or are there any specific reasons why you suggest this? I'd be interested to hear..

blendermax wrote:ive been thinking that it might be useful to have tabs in several places in blender instead of buttons. heres my quick & ugly 5 minute mock-up (i think its self-explanatory, so i wont comment it):
This looks quite nice. It is more consistant with other programs design which is a good thing. People won't be in question how to change page. The only trouble I can see is that this might not be so consistant within Blender. The current look is consistant with the buttonwindows which have a series og buttons in the header that change the body content, instead of using tabs.
Last edited by Monkeyboi on Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dotblend

Post by dotblend »

this is what i would like to see
final render multi processor style
initial image created by shadeless.dk

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

I dont mind- moving the render window into blender as
A: Using the IV/Image window
or
B: Having a new widow type
- there both fine

I think it could be dangerious to move it into the UV/Image view unless much of the functionality was also added (like the ability to paint onto the rendered image, use it as a texture to UV map and save it to disk, just like a painted UV image)

BUT blender does not function while rendering so unless rendering was started in a seperate process or somthing the user would only be able to interact with the render window until rendering was finished.

If there was a way to make it obvious that none of the interface was accessable until the render was finished then that would be good.

Also, if there was no UV/Image type open what would happen?
Just chande the window type under the mouse when 12 is hit and render to that?

It is a little more obvious with a window that pops up in front, that the blender interface must wait for rendering to finish or canceled.

Having a header in the seperate render window also strikes me as odd....
(as if you could split the views, change windo type) - Thats not consistant.

Not sure what the best solution is- Just kicking around ideas.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Monkeyboi: I have followed this thread with great interest. There are many good suggestions in your proposal. I would particularly love to see the animation-sliders implemented.

For your "file browser"-proposal I have the following suggestion. How about a button that lets you append a number to the filename you have written.
Lets say you have created a vase and next you want to save this vase to your harddrive. If it's finished you can just save it to vase.blend. But if it's not, you could press an append-button and 01 gets saved with the name you have written:

1. Write the name (eg. vase) --> 2. Press the append-button --> 3. The vase gets saved as vase01.blend

The next time you want to save the file, you just press append and vase02.blend is created and so on...
This could speed up the workflow a lot (I know. I use this feature a lot in 3ds max).

ideasman: I didn't mean to move the rendering to the UV/Image Editor. I think it should be kept where it is.
My proposal was only an extension to brokens idea. The main reason why I wanted the "image comparison tool" to be placed in the UV/Image Editor, was that I wanted the following possibilities (and much of the functionality is already there):

1. Loading two images from the disk to be compared to each other.
2. One image loaded from the disk to be compared with one from the render buffer.
3. Two images from the render buffer. That is when a image is rendered, you place it in Channel A and the next rendered image in Channel B.

I think the rendering window would be too cluttered if it should host all these possibilities.

Regards
Kasper

matt_e

Post by matt_e »

Ghost wrote:Lets say you have created a vase and next you want to save this vase to your harddrive. If it's finished you can just save it to vase.blend. But if it's not, you could press an append-button and 01 gets saved with the name you have written:
It's already there, just as a hotkey only. Try pressing + on the keypad in the fileselect window. Yes, the file selector is in need of updating and it will be tacked when there's time.

lightning

Post by lightning »

Having read quite a lot of your proposals, I have a suggestion:

A lot of the blender users are used to some of the more fundamental things like mouse buttons and material window locations. Not that yours arent perhaps better, but they are different. For that reason, I think it would be a good feature to have the layout of the blender windo customizable. For example, you could have a program called customze.exe where you drag things like the button grops around, then save the custom template, then have blender load it. Of course, if there is no template file it should go to a default template.

No? Yes?
The dawn of a new error...