Further Interface Improvement proposal - NEW: UV Editing

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:17 pm

Thanks for the comment slikdigit, but I have to admit that I didn't plan to integrate this myself. I agree the dispview function is nice, I use it often although "dispwin" works for me. I would, like you want to keep that option.

If I understood you correnctly you suggest substituting the main menu header for the renderwindow header when using dispwiew? I think that is a great idea since you cannot use the program while rendering anyway. good idea!

kAinStein

Post by kAinStein » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:25 pm

I think this is a good idea - especially the 'view'-menu. I think that newbies often don't even know that you can zoom the rendering in the render window or how to cancel the rendering process (though 'esc' is at hand). Makes the interface more consistent throughout Blender, too: The 3D windows also have the view menu.

It also does make more sense having the rendering info in the rendering window because on high resolutions the main window can be covered by the rendering window. And I agree with digit that it should be added into the 3D win when rendering with dispview as target even though all the info is on the status bar on top. (I use dispview quite often because the rendering window f*cks up the x11 palette here) Perhaps the info could be integrated into a floating window or something like that (if it isn't that complicated to integrate into the event loop while rendering) - including the progress bar and the cancel button. Then it could be moved, minimized, etc.

So it really does make sense. :D

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:31 pm

With the render window proposal, It would be good if there was a save function on the header, I remember it was confusing when I didnt know F3 was save.

And even the options- to choose file format - jpg, tga png etc...

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:45 pm

Yes ideasman, that is a very good idea! I had trouble with this when starting with Blender too! I'll just see if I can throw it in. I would prefer if you chose the filetype inside the file browser itself while saving.

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:00 pm

I just updated the image and html file to include ideasmans idea about saving directly from the window. Great idea!

kAinStein

Post by kAinStein » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:13 pm

Yep. Good idea, ideasman.

kAinStein

Post by kAinStein » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:14 pm

Seems that the forum is messed up again. I can only read the new messages when I hit 'post reply'.... :x

jd-multi

Post by jd-multi » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:00 pm

Monkeyboi that is just great, I totally agree with that new render window, because new blender users are searching and searching why they can't save the render, and the 2th think that should be fixed is adding a extension automaticly and not write it by yourself. That will fix newbie problems too, because when I use blender for the first time, I didn't understand why I couldn't open a rendered jpeg, but afther all I saw it didn't add a extension.
And that loading bar in the renderwindow is REALLY NEEDED, I mean sometimes I just look at that counting thingy in the right upper corner of blender, but a loading bar is better then that counting thingy.

The editbutton idea is also great, I agree with that too, maybe it should be a little back to basic and learn again to users that use blender very ofthen, but afther a few times using it, that layout will be in you head too.

The things I want, is selecting in renderwindow the view button then select a camera, like when you've got 3 added, and then render on that camera insteed of switching cameras using hotkeys and render again.

The second thing I want, fix those low quality crappy buttons, like that red sphere on the material buttons and such. If we increase the quality of the layout, why shouldn't we increase the quality of those button pictures? Just take away those 16 colors pictures on the buttons and replace them with the same or another pictures which are 16 bit or whatever. :D

That was it, I really can't find anything more right which I doesn't like, Blender is really improved if you look at blender 2.23, I mean, blender is great, I love it and I hope it will never .... (don't want to talk about that again, it has happend before :() So looking at the brightside, keep going guys, blender has never been soo powerfull and userfriendly. 8)

Blendorphin

Post by Blendorphin » Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:29 am

i just love your work monkeyboi!

i have 2 ideas/suggestions:

when you render an animation, there should be two progress bars, one that shows the status of the current frame and the other that shows the progress of the entire animation.

Also, for noobs (and convenience for exp. users) there should be a Preferences... option in the File menu. all this would do would pull down the user preferences window so that all the buttons were visible, and then a button on that window should say 'Close Preferences' which would return the pref window back to the state of just the menu.

cant wait for more! :)

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:36 pm

i have 2 ideas/suggestions:

when you render an animation, there should be two progress bars, one that shows the status of the current frame and the other that shows the progress of the entire animation.

Also, for noobs (and convenience for exp. users) there should be a Preferences... option in the File menu. all this would do would pull down the user preferences window so that all the buttons were visible, and then a button on that window should say 'Close Preferences' which would return the pref window back to the state of just the menu.
Two very good suggestions. I actually did think of adding Preferences to the File menu once, but I forgot about it. Thanks very much fro the feedback!

PS
How do you make quotes with names? So it says "Blendorphin wrote:" and not just "Quote"?

kAinStein

Post by kAinStein » Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:39 pm

Monkeyboi wrote:How do you make quotes with names? So it says "Blendorphin wrote:" and not just "Quote"?
Hit the 'quote' button in the top right corner or type

Code: Select all

[quote="Monkeyboi"]
:D

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:19 pm

Thanks Kainstein!

Here is a mockup of how the render window should look when rendering an animation:

the render window proposal, updated:

http://www.shadeless.dk/ui/renderwindowhtm.htm

steve_t

Post by steve_t » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:58 pm

I really like this render window proposal :)
Keep up the good work :)

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:29 am

steve_t: Thank you very much, I am glad you like what I am doing. Hopefully it will have an impact!

I have just included two new chapters: the Preferences In Menu (thanks to Blendorphin)

http://www.shadeless.dk/ui/Preferences.htm

..and Graying Out Irelevant Functions

http://www.shadeless.dk/ui/grayingout.htm

Read and comment!
Last edited by Monkeyboi on Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.

matt_e

Post by matt_e » Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:25 am

While we're requesting stuff, there's a feature that I love to use in Shake, which uses 2 buffers, just like Blender's render window.

There is a slider that you can use to check the buffers against each other, which is great for comparing different techniques, settings etc. By dragging the slider, you change what portion of the render window shows buffer A, and what portion shows buffer B.

Here's a rough, ugly mockup that might help to explain how it works:

In Shake, you can make the slider show/hide the image either horizontally or vertically, or also blend from one buffer to another (as if the two images are layers on top of each other in Photoshop, and you're varying the top layer's opacity). I'd jump for joy if we could have something like this in Blender, because the 2 render buffers is one of my favourite features, and this would make it so much more useful (and accessible - I wonder how many people don't even know about it...).
Last edited by matt_e on Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:28 am, edited 2 times in total.