Permanently delete images from blender

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Hellfireboy

Permanently delete images from blender

Post by Hellfireboy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:54 am

Is there a way to permanently get rid of an image that has been loaded into blender? After a while it gets a little cluttered when you open up the image list and there are a dozen different entires in there that I can't seem to make go away even when looking at the data blocks. Is there something in the API that could be added even if the function is not there already?

CoDEmanX

Post by CoDEmanX » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:51 am

as soon as datablocks got 0 users and you save file (and re-open?), they should have vanished
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

Hellfireboy

Post by Hellfireboy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:11 pm

Thanks. I still think that there should be a discreet delete button for this kind of thing though.

ldo

Post by ldo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:25 am

Then somebody will use it and immediately regret it.

Making you save and reload I suppose forces you to be really sure you want to throw all the unneeded stuff away. And it's sufficiently cumbersome that you won't be doing it every 5 minutes.

stiv

Post by stiv » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:53 pm

Blender uses a network model database. (yes, there are things besides the relational model!) This means you need to iterate through the entire database to find unused stuff and mark it for deletion, then make another pass and actually delete it. This is exactly what save/reload does.

This is fairly quick, and was originally a simple two keystroke process which made it easy to do whenever you wanted to clean up.