polar-tapering ("conifying" ?)

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

noblunder

polar-tapering ("conifying" ?)

Post by noblunder »

Hi, I'm sort of new. How would one cone-taper an object? I imagine selecting the object, then selecting the axis on which to taper, and the degree, and maybe a couple more parameters.... any ideas?

(if the object itself is simple/regular/polar, where it just has some polar-symmetrical vertices at the top and bottom, you could just select the top vertices and scale them down, I guess, with the center correctly positioned... but I'd also like to "squish" an irregular object in a cone fashion)

TIA

bill2reg

Post by bill2reg »

I'm no expert by far, but maybe you could use the shrinkwrap modifier to shape your mesh around a cone object. The cone could be whatever shape, size etc. that you want. Not sure if this will give you exactly what you want.

stiv

Post by stiv »

Use a Lattice to squeeze it?

noblunder

Post by noblunder »

bill2reg wrote:I'm no expert by far, but maybe you could use the shrinkwrap modifier to shape your mesh around a cone object. The cone could be whatever shape, size etc. that you want. Not sure if this will give you exactly what you want.
I tried the shrinkwrap, and got interesting results, but not exactly what I'm after

But it sounds like the right direction nonetheless.

For now, i'm taking a whole different route to achieve my target mesh, but will come back to this method later.

Need to read up and do tutorials on both the shrinkwrap and the lattice

Thanks!