bug - Turntable mode

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

makeshiftwings

bug - Turntable mode

Post by makeshiftwings » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:25 am

<edited to add>
I read on the elysiun forums that Turntable mode is actually broken and should be working as I described it. This is just to let people know it's a bug and not a request ;).
<end edited section>

Hi... I'm new to blender and struggling with its interface still :oops:

One thing that would make it much easier for me is if you could rotate with the middle mouse button without the viewpoint "rolling" on its z-axis. That's the way most 3d apps I've used work (Wings, Cinema4d, i think Max). The rolling just makes it annoying and I've never had a reason to tilt my view while working on a model. (I could just tilt my head if I really wanted ;) ). I know you can mostly get rid of the roll by clicking the middle mouse as close to the center of the window as possible, but I'm not used to doing that, and even being a little off center with the mouse will eventually cause the horizon to start tilting and you need to reset the view and start over. I know you can get non-roll rotation by using the numpad too, but dragging with the mouse is so much nicer, and I can't really see how that many people really need the roll... it doesn't let you see any more of your model than if you were just rotating around it while it was right-side-up.
Could there maybe be another rotation option next to Trackball and Turntable... something like "First Person"? I think all that would have to happen is to declare another button at the bottom of space.c that would set a new flag, and then check for that flag in view.c in the viewmove() function and set the Z value of the quaternion to 1.
I tried to build the source but i came up with hundreds of errors and I've already got a lot of other projects I'm working on, so I was hoping some kind soul who has a working build could try it out and let me know if it works, or if someone who knows the source better than me (I just looked at it for the first time today and was a little frightened :) ) could add in their own option for a no-roll view rotation.
I'm sure users of other 3d apps that have trouble switching to blender's interface would greatly appreciate it.
Last edited by makeshiftwings on Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

makeshiftwings

Post by makeshiftwings » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:53 pm

anyone? opinions? is this a bad idea? impossible to implement? anyone really roll the camera on its z-axis on purpose while they're modelling?

theeth

Post by theeth » Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:06 pm

Switch the View Rotation mode from Trackball to Turntable in the Info window.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

makeshiftwings

Post by makeshiftwings » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:20 am

Just bringing this back, as I'm still hoping it can be put in. As I said above, using Turntable doesn't stop the camera from rolling on its Z-axis like it should. Maybe Turntable mode is broken? Maybe it's only broken for me?

jo

Post by jo » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:21 pm

no, i have the same problem. but when you click near the centre (0,0,0) when you rotate it works like it should.

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:57 pm

To quote Ton for the 2.28 release:

"- "Turn table" view rotation now allows (with vertical movement) a twisted rotation as well. This to fix bug #364, causing a deviation error. Feedback on this feature might result in making this another user option though."

So versions before 2.28 had a (almost) working 'real' turntable feature.

I would aswell be glad to get 'real' turntable back.

makeshiftwings

Post by makeshiftwings » Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:16 pm

Please bring real turntable back! The bizarre z-axis rolling is one of the main Blender interface "quirks" that makes a lot of people like me give up on it in frustration. All other 3D apps i've used use "turntable" mode by default (and a lot of them don't even allow rolling the viewpoint on its z-axis). Really, I can't see why I would ever need to tilt my viewpoint on its z-axis while modelling; it doesn't give you any additional viewing area. I can just tilt my head to the side if I want to see my model tilted off of its axis :/.

ilac

Post by ilac » Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:30 pm

I like the way it works by default. if I need to spin round one axis I use the keyboard numpad!

makeshiftwings

Post by makeshiftwings » Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:12 pm

ilac wrote:I like the way it works by default. if I need to spin round one axis I use the keyboard numpad!
Too bad... you've already got trackball mode (the default mode) for that kind of thing! :P You don't also need a broken turntable mode that does almost the same thing. Blender purists might like the random swerving and rolling of the viewpoint, but those of us who are coming from 3dsMax, Wings, Cinema4D, Maya, Carerra, AoI, Anim8or, OpenFX, Milkshape, and almost every other 3d App I can think of, are used to "turntable" mode and will have a hard time switching to Blender's crazy view tilting. I know you can use only the numpad and not use the mouse to get a choppy proper turn, but that's far inferior to the view management of all the above listed products, all of which seem to have no problem letting you spin the view with the mouse without everything tilting out of alignment on the z axis. Blender does a whole lot of things right, it's a pain that something as simple yet blatantly obvious as this has not been fixed yet.