How can I join meshes?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

The_Hermit_1971

How can I join meshes?

Post by The_Hermit_1971 »

Hello people. I found a 3DS model in the net and when I finally opened in Blender it happens that it is divided into several meshes. The model is high poly and I need to join it so I can apply the Decimate modifier to reduce the poly count. I tried to join it with the Join command but I had some problems applying the modifier, it never applied and I received a message regarding the multiple meshes that compose the model. Can somebody help me by telling me how to join the meshes?

CoDEmanX

Post by CoDEmanX »

you can join mesh objects via Menu Object > Join (which is not a modifier)

or add a Boolean modifier to one of two objects, set type to Union and select the second object, then apply.

You should Remove Doubles after joining meshes to get nearby vertices merged together, but it's still not guaranteed that decimate will work (entire mesh needs to be non-manifold). You may try Remesh modifier or use MeshLab's remeshing options.

IMO, all of these automated decimation algorithms create ugly results from high poly models. It's better to make simplified topology by hand.
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

The_Hermit_1971

Post by The_Hermit_1971 »

That was the error message. That the decimate modifier can't be applied to non-manifold meshes. How can I manage to turn it into a non-manifold mesh?

CoDEmanX

Post by CoDEmanX »

sometimes it's enough to use the edge split modifier, but for complex meshes, it is impossible to make it manifold unless you recreate it by hand.

calinb

Post by calinb »

CoDEmanX wrote: or add a Boolean modifier to one of two objects, set type to Union and select the second object, then apply.
As soon as I use the pull-down menu to select the second object, Blender crashes and I get the "Blender has stopped working" popup from Win8. I'm trying to use a difference modifier, but it's the same result, regardless of the Boolean modifier I select.

Seems like a bug.

Thanks,

-Cal

CoDEmanX

Post by CoDEmanX »

Windows 8, lol -.-

try a recent built, maybe it it's fixed already

calinb

Post by calinb »

CoDEmanX wrote:Windows 8, lol -.-

Yeah--Win8 is a PITA, until you add "Classic Shell" to it and make it work like the old Windows. I have noticed some speed increases, however.

I will try the latest build as soon as I have time to download and install it.

Thanks!

calinb

Post by calinb »

calinb wrote:
CoDEmanX wrote:Windows 8, lol -.-

Yeah--Win8 is a PITA, until you add "Classic Shell" to it and make it work like the old Windows. I have noticed some speed increases, however.

I will try the latest build as soon as I have time to download and install it.

Thanks!
Update:

On Win8, I had to go back to Blender 2.49b to obtain reliable boolean ops. However, I just tried 2.66 64-bit on XP-Pro x-64 and boolean ops seem to work beautifully and they are very fast!

victor_martin123

ncbgfc

Post by victor_martin123 »

thanks man!! it help me too