Exporting model to .obj with textures

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Hank the Cowdog

Exporting model to .obj with textures

Post by Hank the Cowdog » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:32 pm

Hey there.

In an effort to expand my model library, I wanted to convert some .blend models to .obj format, which is readable by my primary 3D program. So I downloaded Blender, downloaded some models, and exported to .obj. It successfully created an .obj file and an .mtl file, but it didn't appear to export the model's textures along with it.

I've never used Blender before, so the interface is a little confusing to me. What am I missing? Thanks in advance.

ZackatSumoFilms

Re: Exporting model to .obj with textures

Post by ZackatSumoFilms » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:24 am

Hank the Cowdog wrote:Hey there.

In an effort to expand my model library, I wanted to convert some .blend models to .obj format, which is readable by my primary 3D program. So I downloaded Blender, downloaded some models, and exported to .obj. It successfully created an .obj file and an .mtl file, but it didn't appear to export the model's textures along with it.

I've never used Blender before, so the interface is a little confusing to me. What am I missing? Thanks in advance.
My guess would be you need to go into the blend file and pack the external data. In the project go to File the External Data and Pack External Data. Then Save again just to make sure. Then export the file. I have to do that with Collada Files or I get a bunch of nothing in Photoshop.
Zack Miller
www.sumofilms.com

stiv

Post by stiv » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:16 am

Are you using UV textures?