Texture shown on wrong face?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

32smooth

Texture shown on wrong face?

Post by 32smooth »

Hello,

I'm a Blender newbie and I just can't find a way to solve this problem. I do the following:

- start Blender (2.65) with factory default settings
- enable the display of the face normals
- delete the cube and add a plane
- apply a texture to it using the uv-editor and unwrap
- In the 3d-view I swich to textured viewport
now I see the texture on the plane, but its on the wrong face. The face-normals-line points to one face and the texture is on the other face ...
Whats going on here?

bill2reg

Post by bill2reg »

If I remember correctly, a plane really acts as if it has only two dimensions, and a texture applied to one face shows on both sides. When you view a render, do you see an image on both faces? It may need a lighting adjustment to see it, but I think you might find that this is the case.

32smooth

Post by 32smooth »

bill2reg wrote:If I remember correctly, a plane really acts as if it has only two dimensions, and a texture applied to one face shows on both sides. When you view a render, do you see an image on both faces? It may need a lighting adjustment to see it, but I think you might find that this is the case.
thanks for you answer bitt2reg. To be honest i never rendered anything inside Blender, I never needed to since I export my stuff for Second Life I alwys check the final output inside SL.
But would the textured preview inside Blender be affected by light sources?

bill2reg

Post by bill2reg »

Are you using cycles render or blender render? If you preview in cycles render the lighting is different.

dudo5611

Post by dudo5611 »

Hi, I`m doing something similar... I want to put a texture on a plane but only on one side... It`s possible? How can I do it?

Thanks....

I heard that one solution is make a duplicate of the face and assign different material.... but I don`t like this solution....

CoDEmanX

Post by CoDEmanX »

is mapping coordinates set to UV?
shading GLSL?
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

dudo5611

Post by dudo5611 »

CoDEmanX wrote:is mapping coordinates set to UV?
shading GLSL?
All what I did is just add plane, unwrap and set diffuse BSDF with picture... I`m using 2.66 blendee, cycle renderer....

Thanks

CoDEmanX

Post by CoDEmanX »

well for me the texture shows on both sides, despite the disabled "double sided" option.

With these options, it is on the face normal's side only (in cycles rendered preview):

Diffuse BSDF
Image texture
Color
Flat
Single Image

Vector: Default
Normal: Normal Map, Object Space
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

dudo5611

Post by dudo5611 »

CoDEmanX wrote:well for me the texture shows on both sides, despite the disabled "double sided" option.

With these options, it is on the face normal's side only (in cycles rendered preview):

Diffuse BSDF
Image texture
Color
Flat
Single Image

Vector: Default
Normal: Normal Map, Object Space

Well with these settings it`s looks like it render only on one side :) but when I`m in material view mode it`s on the both sides.... It`s not such a big problem, but sometimes it`s confusing...

Thanks