Transform Gizmo not depth sorting

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

_ghosted

Transform Gizmo not depth sorting

Post by _ghosted »

I've just noticed this and (whilst it's only a minor bug) it's driving me insane as I can't 'unsee' it. In the 3D view the three arms of the move gizmo are not depth sorted so they overlap incorrectly. I've checked on both my home and my work machine and used 2.66 in the latter case but it's always present.
Is anyone else experiencing this?

zedeneye1

Post by zedeneye1 »

you know that toolbar where there's the menu from where you select the view type like "rendered", "textured", "material", "wireframe" etc..
just right to that is an icon of the gizmo, click on it and the gizmo on screen will disappear..
its left to the menu where you select "global", "local", "normal", etc...

Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha »

His issue, from the screen shot, is that the red arrow on the gizmo is drawing over the blue arrow. From that particular angle, it should be the other way around.

The green arrow always overlaps the red and blue arrows.
The red arrow always overlaps the blue arrow.
The problem only effects the arrow heads the tails overlap correctly.

It is this error that he cannot 'unsee' not the gizmo itself. :)

_ghosted

Post by _ghosted »

Yep, I don't think I explained it too clearly, thank Tehrasha.

So is this a bug everyone is experiencing, or just me? If it is, is there a proper channel for reporting these things?

Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha »

_ghosted wrote:So is this a bug everyone is experiencing, or just me? If it is, is there a proper channel for reporting these things?
I am seeing it also. There is a bug-tracker where you can submit a ticket.
http://www.blender.org/development/report-a-bug/

If you wish, I can submit one for this issue for you.

brasshat

Post by brasshat »

No, you're not the only one to see the phenomenon; it is also present in my 2.66 installation, too. I also see it with the scale mainpulator widget, and in both tools also where the green should be behind the blue, and appears ahead of it, and also where the green should be behind the red, and appears ahead of it. The effect in visible in both orthogographic and perspective views, and appears (at least on my machine) to be an artifact of the order of drawing the widget, .

I have suspect that this effect is caused by the order of drawing the widget, that the z arm is drawn first, the x arm second, and the y arm last. If the position of the object in the viewport is rotated just the least amount, or in perspective view, if the objectt is moved just the least amount to the left of right, the effect disappears, at least on my installation.

ns

_ghosted

Post by _ghosted »

Tehrasha wrote:If you wish, I can submit one for this issue for you?
If you've already got an account and don't mind, that'd be appreciated. Thanks again.

Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha »

_ghosted wrote:
Tehrasha wrote:If you wish, I can submit one for this issue for you?
If you've already got an account and don't mind, that'd be appreciated. Thanks again.
Submitted, and already confirmed! Ton is on the job!
He tracked this behavior all the way back to v2.4x :shock:

http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?fu ... &aid=34426