CPU power down

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Nagilum

CPU power down

Post by Nagilum »

Can blender develop a "Power Down Computer when rendering is finished" option? This could save energy on computers that are left on for hours when rendering. I'm always worried about my computer setting idle and wasting energy while I'm at work, or security vulnerabilities on an idle high powered system. An option that would turn my CPU off after a render job is finished would be great. :roll:

farbw3rk

Re: CPU power down

Post by farbw3rk »

you can easily get this feature by yourself, starting the job via commandline in a batch (.cmd/.sh or automator, depending your OS) with a shutdown/power-off command as the last line.

farbw3rk

Re: CPU power down

Post by farbw3rk »

...sorry, forgot to mention:
when starting by commandline, blender will quit after work. so if you prefer to go into idle/sleep mode after rendering simply start blender as a background-process by commandline. after rendering, without blender running and without work to do, your systems APM will do the rest to put your workstation to sleep, when configured.

when running in background-mode you may want to pipe stdout and stderr to a file, at last when rendering production-files for accounting or statistics.