Is that possible to name an edge of a mesh with blender?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

lucky7456969

Is that possible to name an edge of a mesh with blender?

Post by lucky7456969 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:59 am

I find that it's not possible with 3ds max.
I want to switch camp to blender.
Let me know
Thanks
Jack

brasshat

Post by brasshat » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:43 pm

I don't know how helpful these will be, because I am uncertain exactly why you want to name the edge. I can think of three ways to name and edge, and whether they will be useful will depend upon why you want to name the edge. Depending upon the situation, some of these ways may be more useful than others.

First way: select the vertices that comprise the edge, and assign those vertices to a vertex group.

Second way: break the edge into a separate mesh, and name the mesh.

Third way: break the edge to a separate object, and name the object.

ns

CoDEmanX

Post by CoDEmanX » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:33 pm

you could try bmesh module's custom data layers, but not sure how reliable that data survives on save/load and geometry changes...
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

lucky7456969

Post by lucky7456969 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:42 am

brasshat wrote:I don't know how helpful these will be, because I am uncertain exactly why you want to name the edge. I can think of three ways to name and edge, and whether they will be useful will depend upon why you want to name the edge. Depending upon the situation, some of these ways may be more useful than others.

First way: select the vertices that comprise the edge, and assign those vertices to a vertex group.

Second way: break the edge into a separate mesh, and name the mesh.

Third way: break the edge to a separate object, and name the object.

ns
The reason I need to name an edge is that in my warehouse simulation,
there is a dock leveler in the warehouse so that a lorry trailer can "dock" exactly to, and a connected navigation mesh can be established. If the y and z coordinates aren't precise, a nav mesh can't be connected.
Thanks
Jack

brasshat

Post by brasshat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:11 pm

I think you're using at least one set of words in a manner that I'm not accustomed to, specifically "navigation mesh". It would be helpful to have a better sense of the larger scene you're trying to produce. When the lorry is backed into the dock, are the lorry, the dockplate, and the warehouse converted to a single mesh (and hence part of the same object), or do they remain separate objects? Where is the named edge, and what role does it play in the simulation? Without that information, I'm not sure why you need a named edge.

ns

lucky7456969

Post by lucky7456969 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:13 pm

brasshat wrote:I think you're using at least one set of words in a manner that I'm not accustomed to, specifically "navigation mesh". It would be helpful to have a better sense of the larger scene you're trying to produce. When the lorry is backed into the dock, are the lorry, the dockplate, and the warehouse converted to a single mesh (and hence part of the same object), or do they remain separate objects? Where is the named edge, and what role does it play in the simulation? Without that information, I'm not sure why you need a named edge.

ns
1) The area of the lorry trailer which is facing upward will be the same object as the warehouse.

2) They will remain separate.

brasshat

Post by brasshat » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:59 am

As it happens, besides being a Blenderhead, I work in the logistics industry, and am familiar with warehousing, and loading trucks as it is done in the US. I think this thread is veering off topic for this forum, and would invite you to consider futher communications in this matter by means of the email address in my profile.

I have a better understanding of what you are trying to accomplish, but it's still not clear to me why you need a named edge.

ns