Driver variable value shows inconsistent data

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Cephei

Driver variable value shows inconsistent data

Post by Cephei » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:48 pm

I was trying to set up drivers to change location of one object based on rotation of another and it works for the most part. However, there are some inconsistencies. In my case, I had a sphere and a cube. Then, a single driver was added to the cube to control its Y-location. The driver was set up to use transform channel of the sphere, specifically its Z-rotation. The driver type was set to scripted expression and the expression was simply the variable itself. Now, rotating the sphere along its Z-axis moves the cube along it's Y-axis and is working as intended and is completely linear. However, if the sphere is rotated 180 degrees along the X-axis first, then the system starts behaving very inconsistently. If I just start rotating the sphere along Z-axis, the value displayed in debug mode by the driver is different from the one displayed in the properties panel, e.g. both values would be 89 degrees, but as soon as the sphere is rotated a little more to 91 degrees, the value displayed by the driver is now -89.

Is this intended behavior and I am missing something, or is this a bug?

I was using Blender 2.67 when this happened.