Create edge at the intersection of two faces?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Puckey

Create edge at the intersection of two faces?

Post by Puckey » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:08 pm

Greetings, gentlemen.

Is there a simple way to accurately create an edge at the intersection of two faces (and then likely merge the faces together, as in subdivision)?

I have two separate objects which I wish to merge into one but for further editing I'm going to have to create a new edge where one object passes through the other. I understand how this would be possible via subdivision and merging, but I was just wondering if there were an easier way.

Thanks!

-- Jake

CoDEmanX

Post by CoDEmanX » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:27 pm

I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

Puckey

Post by Puckey » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:40 am

brasshat

Re: Create edge at the intersection of two faces?

Post by brasshat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:03 pm

Jake:
Puckey wrote:Greetings, gentlemen.

Is there a simple way to accurately create an edge at the intersection of two faces (and then likely merge the faces together, as in subdivision)?
If for some reasons the add-ons don't do it, here's an old tutorial published several years back in Blender Art Magazine http://blenderart.org/2007/05/07/plane- ... -tutorial/ . It rather nicely outlines principles, and by applying them, one can calculate the edge at the intersections of other types of objects, too.

ns

Puckey

Re: Create edge at the intersection of two faces?

Post by Puckey » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:34 pm

brasshat wrote:Jake:
Puckey wrote:Greetings, gentlemen.

If for some reasons the add-ons don't do it, here's an old tutorial published several years back in Blender Art Magazine http://blenderart.org/2007/05/07/plane- ... -tutorial/ . It rather nicely outlines principles, and by applying them, one can calculate the edge at the intersections of other types of objects, too.

ns
I'll check that one out too, much appreciated!