Feature Request: Embedded webbrowser

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

oyster

Post by oyster »

http://grail.sourceforge.net/ is a web browser in python + Tkinter only, but it can't run in Blender perhaps.
http://spe.pycs.net may be the choice for a python-based webbrowser in Blender.

wsippel

Post by wsippel »

@Analogy

It's really good to finally meet someone who knows obviously a lot more about 3D apps and workflow than eg Softimage does - I'm really glad...
No, really, you seem to know nothing about intelligent UI's or workflow, you've never used (or even seen) a real project manager/ DAM - what do you think why Apple has integration for CakeS in Shake, or Avid and Softimage embed a Webbrowser and NXN Alienbrain in their applications? Just for fun, maybe?

@solmax
You've have not witnessed NETVIEW's true power...
There are a lot of pages optimized for NETVIEW, and the greatest feature is the ability to create dynamic webpages with real XSI integration - we use a custom in-house web-based groupware with full XSI integration. Believe me, NETVIEW is more than a mere webbrowser...

theeth

Post by theeth »

I fail to see what's wrong with just setting Blender to fit half your screen and open a web browser to fit the other half.

This way everyone is happy with their favorite browser and it has absolutly no disadvantage over an embeded browser (unless you start adding custom code to the browser, but then it's not embeded anymore, it's a full fledge browser project).

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

sebastian

Post by sebastian »

You would have the titlebar still there, and the borders of the window. and when you resize the windon you willo have to spend some time fitting the other to it.
Would you like blender to have the window-handling removed and changed to separate windows, like gimp but worse since blender has more "windows"?
If not, then you should be able to understand why someone would want to be able to embed a tutorial webpage in blender too even if you don't follow tutorials!

theeth

Post by theeth »

>Image<
sebastian wrote:You would have the titlebar still there
Blender already has a title bar, no space wasted there. And unless you really use a crappy browser, removing the navigation bar, hotlink bar and status bar should be trivial.
sebastian wrote:when you resize the windon you willo have to spend some time fitting the other to it.
You can set the size of the blender window through command line arguments. 1 minute to setup correctly. Once.
As for the browser, that depends on your OS and the browser itself. In Win XP, the size of the unmaximised window is kept somewhere so you can easily switch between maximised and the unmaximed previous size.
sebastian wrote:Would you like blender to have the window-handling removed and changed to separate windows, like gimp but worse since blender has more "windows"?
Of course not, but I don't see how that can be a valid argument. We might as well embed a calculator program, and 2D painting program, a video editing program, a complete file browser, ... Because these are all tools you could use with Blender and they are all separate windows and we don't want that.

Also, I think the best argument against an integrated browser is that it will never satisfy everyone. Face it, there's a really high number of web borwsers out there, all of which can be configured many different ways. Who's to say the browser that is embeded will satisfy even 10% of the users.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

HiNMity

Post by HiNMity »

wsippel perhaps you would care to explain how a typical workflow using a browser inside of blender would be like (maybe with images) ?

A couple of things i can image the browser be used for.

1 A userbase webpage with scripts/rigs/tools/images etc. that can be dragged and dropped directly from the site and into blender.

2 Tutorials and Help pages can be updated online via the browser.

here is a screenshot of xsi netview for those who dont know what it looks like.

http://hem.bredband.net/b202145/xsi_Net ... enshot.jpg

sebastian

Post by sebastian »

If you just want half the window webbrowser and the other half .. Ascii art!

Code: Select all

-----------------
|     |    | uv |
|  O  | O  |OOO |
| {I\ | I\ |dOb |
|---------------|
|buttons|browser|
|       |tut,gfx|
-----------------
See? And you suddenly want to change the uv-editor and webbrowser, with integrated: four clicks! Un-integrated(today) one move and some tweaking of the window.
I can get it if you don't think it worth the effort, but you have to see there's some advantage?

And the idea of being able to integrate any application you want, good one, definately something for blender 3. But if easy implemented, earlier would be cool too...

I don't know why some people are afraid of adding functionality to blender, if you make it as a module that you can choose to not use, what's the problem?

Eric

Post by Eric »

sebastian wrote:You would have the titlebar still there, and the borders of the window. and when you resize the windon you willo have to spend some time fitting the other to it.
If you want to do this and your window manager can't, then you're obviously using wrong window manager.
sebastian wrote: Would you like blender to have the window-handling removed and changed to separate windows, like gimp but worse since blender has more "windows"?
Again, my windowmanager can handle this just fine for me.

halibut

Post by halibut »

Eric wrote:
sebastian wrote:You would have the titlebar still there, and the borders of the window. and when you resize the windon you willo have to spend some time fitting the other to it.
If you want to do this and your window manager can't, then you're obviously using wrong window manager.
sebastian wrote: Would you like blender to have the window-handling removed and changed to separate windows, like gimp but worse since blender has more "windows"?
Again, my windowmanager can handle this just fine for me.
What is your windowmanager?

Eric

Post by Eric »

I use KDE at the moment.

If you're on Windows I believe Litestep can do some nifty stuff.

halibut

Post by halibut »

Eric wrote:I use KDE at the moment.

Yeah - I just use explorer =(

tried geoshell once but setting it all up confused me too much!

ilac

Post by ilac »

halibut wrote:

Hi,

have you tried my suggestion Halibut?

halibut

Post by halibut »

ilac wrote:
halibut wrote:

Hi,

have you tried my suggestion Halibut?
Yes thankyou it is useful, except that if you focus the window you want to keep on top again, then focus blender, blender comes to the front. I think it is easier to just set the browser to always on top =)

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

Mozilla is a good browser and I use it most of the time but its a little slow so for browsing the blender python docs I use Dillo
I think its only for linux but its very very fast, and has a good minimal mode that can be toggled on and off so there are no annoying buttons.

- 2c

halibut

Post by halibut »

theeth wrote:>Image<
sebastian wrote:You would have the titlebar still there
Blender already has a title bar, no space wasted there. And unless you really use a crappy browser, removing the navigation bar, hotlink bar and status bar should be trivial.
sebastian wrote:when you resize the windon you willo have to spend some time fitting the other to it.
You can set the size of the blender window through command line arguments. 1 minute to setup correctly. Once.
As for the browser, that depends on your OS and the browser itself. In Win XP, the size of the unmaximised window is kept somewhere so you can easily switch between maximised and the unmaximed previous size.
sebastian wrote:Would you like blender to have the window-handling removed and changed to separate windows, like gimp but worse since blender has more "windows"?
Of course not, but I don't see how that can be a valid argument. We might as well embed a calculator program, and 2D painting program, a video editing program, a complete file browser, ... Because these are all tools you could use with Blender and they are all separate windows and we don't want that.

Also, I think the best argument against an integrated browser is that it will never satisfy everyone. Face it, there's a really high number of web borwsers out there, all of which can be configured many different ways. Who's to say the browser that is embeded will satisfy even 10% of the users.

Martin
Hmm calculator - this would be very useful for me as i am terrible at maths ^_^

not a fully fledged calculator - certainly not - but it would be nice if you could type 6+4 in to the object property window and the object moved to ten.