Hairbrained Dupli Idea

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

guitargeek

Hairbrained Dupli Idea

Post by guitargeek » Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:25 pm

I was playing with making a connected line of vertebrea type objects with a path and the parts dupliframed (think sentinals tenticles from Matrix). Works pretty good.

What do you think of a way that in one step would make the dupli's real, then create an armature chain (with each vertebrea connected to a bone) in place of the curve and dupli's. Then you would have a chain which could have more contraints put on it then a simple curve and not take quite as long to create compared to building it by hand.

Maybe too wierd.

theeth

Post by theeth » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:09 pm

I've worked with IK chains for this kind of tentacle setup in the past, and more often than not, 1 bone for 1 segment is overkill. You can easily get a really nice motion with 1 bone for 2 segments, with 1 segment in the middle of each bone (100% weight) and 1 segment siting on a joint (50%/50% weight).

Having an option to create a bone chain from a path would be nice indeed. You'd just need to define the number of bones that you want and then the fonction would calculate where the start and end of each bone would fit (not that hard to do).

I could help you if you want to work on that.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

theeth

Post by theeth » Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:43 am

gee, I replied, but it's not showing in the thread overview.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek » Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:23 am

I think I might want to look at this in the near future. I have not looked at path or armature code yet, so I am probably getting in over my head again! But, last time I did that I got a feature in a release :lol:

Martin, I'm sure you'll hear from me on this.

ilac

Post by ilac » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:34 am

theeth wrote: Having an option to create a bone chain from a path would be nice indeed. You'd just need to define the number of bones that you want and then the fonction would calculate where the start and end of each bone would fit (not that hard to do).
Sounds useful!