Better Camera Orbiting Suggestion for how to

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Analogy

Post by Analogy » Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:36 am

For one thing, clicking turntable does NOTHING, it's exactly the same as trackball.
Do you even USE Blender? There's a huge difference in how they work. Move your viewport above the central plane. Now middle click in the center and move your mouse straight to the side. Trackball mode rotates around the Z axis of the viewport. Turntable mode rotates around the world Z axis.

The thing that takes getting used to is that dragging in different parts of the viewport DOES DIFFERENT THINGS. I'm sorry if your puny mind can't handle this, but for people who can actually think three-dimensionally, trackball mode allows for much more intuitive and flexible manipulation of the viewport.

I just went back into Blender to experiment with it a bit. It's quite easy to accomplish a turntable-like rotation by clicking in the right spot and dragging in the right direction. So easy, that I didn't realize it was a problem until I read this thread. In turntable mode, it's practically impossible to flip the camera unless you are completely incompetent at using a mouse and probably shouldn't be working in 3D in the first place.

solmax

Post by solmax » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:33 pm

i really tried to calm things down, but this:
For one thing, clicking turntable does NOTHING, it's exactly the same as trackball.
is simply not correct. you should really spend some time using blender before complaining about features you miss from other apps. noone said learning blender is a piece of cake. but one thing is sure - blender's GUI is extremely efficient, and most people using it on a regular basis will tell you the same.

best regards

marin

sebastian

Post by sebastian » Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:11 pm

Analogy wrote:... I'm sorry if your puny mind can't handle this, but for people who can actually think three-dimensionally, trackball mode allows for much more intuitive and flexible manipulation of the viewport.
... it's practically impossible to flip the camera unless you are completely incompetent at using a mouse and probably shouldn't be working in 3D in the first place.
He was definitely wrong in that case, they are different.
But.
1. Why do three people post about just that part of his post, leaving the rest of it unanswered?
2. Analogy: Is that how you think you should respond to someone just because he has said something wrong?
3. Should someone post a bug-report on that since it obviously is wrong?
4. I don't really get it why is the level so low at this forum, compared to Elysium?

theeth

Post by theeth » Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:00 pm

sebastian wrote:4. I don't really get it why is the level so low at this forum, compared to Elysium?
Some people here some to get more easily frustrated. Don't know why.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

makeshiftwings

Post by makeshiftwings » Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:54 am

jeeeez... now i remember why i stopped posting here.

OK, i was wrong, they are different, but that doesn't change the fact that it's most likely broken. First, I was told that many versions ago, Turntable worked correctly, ie, no rolling on the z-axis. Second, all other 3d Apps use that view mode. Third, the name "turntable" is very much a misnomer if it's going to roll around on the z-axis, especially if in earlier version, turntable had a stable z-axis. Fourth, yes, my puny mind can't handle rolling on the z-axis, but apparently neither can the puny minds of a huge number of 3d artists out there, since every other 3d app has a stable z-axis when rotating the viewpoint, and as far as I knew the movement to change blender's interface was to make it more accessible to slavering morons like myself instead of being usable only by visionaries and geniuses like yourself.

edit: Just to make sure this is clear, I was never propsing that they get rid of Trackball mode, I am only saying they should fix Turntable mode. If people like trackball mode then they can have it. If people like the current Trackball mode then it could be kept as a third option, though I still think the term "turntable" is an odd choice for it.

bmud

Post by bmud » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:01 am

Here's a suggestion. I picked up Blender in February. So it's been 5 months now.

A: I did get mildly used to the turntable feature, but it is still sort of annoying to re-adjust the Z axis.
B: A simple and quick fix to this would be to just make the "center" larger. I hope some of you recal that in 3ds max, there is an area around the orbit circle, when dragged in, does the "camera roll" -- the action that we're all trying to eliminate here.

So that's all. Yes, the turntable mode really is incorrect still, and it's difficult to get a tilted view back upright again with the mouse. If pressing MIDDLEMOUSE over a viewport made a circle apear, and turtabled within the circle, and trackballed outside the circle, we'd be in buisness.

It'd also be cool to RIGHTMOUSE while orbiting to cancel...

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:44 am

Would it be hard to add a new camera orbiting method in the user prefs that didn't make it roll all the time. This way everyone would be happy, though I would suggest setting this method on by default.

rednelb

Post by rednelb » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:04 pm

and i thought it is a bug!
it would be very helpfull if blender could keep the z axis upright, i believe.

oin

Post by oin » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:20 pm

I agree with monkeyboy...In wings, it doesn't roll depending on where you click(imo , better for workflow).I'd advice to set blender camera mode in Wings and try how it turn around...

Crafty

Post by Crafty » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:47 pm

Bump. I know this thread is old but as a newer blender user i find this camera rotating thing extremely frustrating. It'd be nice to know if someone is doing something to it. :wink:

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:27 pm

Hah, that screenshot's interesting! :wink:

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:17 am

Boy, some users are really getting all worked-up about this. And I thought I was upset.

Anyway, please remember that in older Blender versions (pre v2.3) the turntable option worked in much the same way as in wings. So there has been a change it the way the camera orbits. And for a long-time user (I've been using since v1.72) like me, it wasn't a welcome change.

Perhaps it is a bug, or perhaps something was changed when they cleaned up the code, or it might be on purpose. In any case, all we can do is request for it to be restored and keep our heads cool.

ton
Site Admin

Post by ton » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:28 am

We're preparing code now to bring back 'real' turntable, the old turntable had errors, reported in tracker (after using it a while the z axis became slanted). It was replaced with a hybrid method, allowing a mix of 'trackball' and 'turntable'.

I personally liked that hybrid a lot, thought this turntable thing is just too 80ies to be of use nowadays... but we got too many complaints! :)

rednelb

Post by rednelb » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:18 am

ton wrote:We're preparing code now to bring back 'real' turntable
thank you very much!

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:37 pm

Why don't just make three modes?
trackball
turnable classic
turnable blender
or something like this...
:wink: