Wavy lines when I do Bevel - I FIXED IT but..

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

enriq766

Wavy lines when I do Bevel - I FIXED IT but..

Post by enriq766 »

I noticed that when I used the bevel tool on an edge and zoomed in real close it looked like the edges are wavy. I noticed it when I began to render and the edges did not look smooth. Even when I did ray tracing it still looked bad. I can fix it by deleting the face and re-adding it. If you turn on draw faces and zoom in real close to the edge and move it around abit you can see it. The edges look like ^^^^^^^ a wavy roof kinda.

Of course my fix is not practical.

Any one else see this?

Im on Windows2000
G-Force4
Look and see

http://www.free-webspace.biz/Blenderprojects/temp.htm
Last edited by enriq766 on Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:52 am, edited 4 times in total.

theeth

Post by theeth »

That's an openGL problem. It happens when it cannot make a clear difference what is on top of what. Scaling the scene up will fix the problem.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

enriq766

Maybe or Maybe not

Post by enriq766 »

I renderd the same scene in 2.11 and it looked ok.(So not my computer)Even with no Ray.

The ray tracer is not my problem though.

Its either/or. No matter what I do in 2.23 it looks wavey.Did something change that handles the open GL stuff in 2.23?

I guess I will render it in 2.11 for now.

But thanks. :P

IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse »

So it's wavey when it's rendered, or when you are just looking at it? Because ray tracing has NOTHING to do when you are in modeling mode, and OpenGL has NOTHING to do with rendering an image in blender.

enriq766

Both

Post by enriq766 »

Its wavy in both. I dont think its open-gl problem. I cant get it to render clean on the edges no matter what I do. In the 3d window is looks wavy when I render it looks wavy. I tried to enlarge the model and I even tried to move the bevel apart more. (top from sides) to give it room. But it still shows when I render and when I zoom into it. Its only on the bevel tool that it does this. Also I tried to do a subdivide after I did a bevel and it wrinkled the edges of the bevel even more now I can really see it!

Another side note. I had a model and when I subdivided it while in the camera view it also did the same thing. It made all my edges Wrinkled.
I dont know if these problems are related or not. On the second problem It subdivided with Triangles and not the Squares that they originally were.

So I dont know. Thats why I ask here :D
http://www.free-webspace.biz/Blenderprojects/temp.htm
Here are some examples

Eric

Post by Eric »

Is it wavy after saving the image?...Because the render windows likes to scale images.

enriq766

No

Post by enriq766 »

Its when I do ANY render. No matter what type. OSA on or off. no matter what level. Ray traced or Internal renderer.

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore »

Okay, lets get the renderers staright - the internal renderer also includes the new raytracing features, but the new external renderer is YafRay.

Eric

Post by Eric »

You didn't answer my question.

enriq766

NO

Post by enriq766 »

Yes it is Eric.

Its any any render window that it happens Yafray or Blenders Ray or regular Render. So all Three.

Its not the Render part. Its the modeling part thats messing up the render part is fine.

fligh

Post by fligh »

Yes it is Eric.

Its any any render window that it happens Yafray or Blenders Ray or regular Render. So all Three.
Not 'render', SAVE as in .tga, something you can open in a picture viewer. The diffs between rendered and saved image is a known issue on some builds.

%<

enriq766

It was simple!

Post by enriq766 »

It was the render window size. I sat down and looked at what I was doing and noticed all the images were set to Full Screen Mode. I went back to preview and it smoothed out! For some reason(I dont know) when I render it in that large size it gets wavey. Well Thanks guys for your help im happy you tried :)

BUT....I cant render or save anything above 1160X904 Or it gets wavey.

The waves are not in the 3d area but in the render itself. Still have no clue?

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi »

You know you can save images to the disc right? Choose 'Save Image' from the File menu, then open the image in any other program - the waves should be gone.