Wings 3D Import wanted/needed

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Debugnus

Wings 3D Import wanted/needed

Post by Debugnus »

Hi.. i've a good look at blender (at last) It's all looking great ;)

I'd realy like to see a Wings 3D Import function maybe even an export too... but i like both Blender and Wings 3D, and would like to see how or if they would work together.
:D

..::Debugnus::..

fligh

Post by fligh »

You can use wavefront obj or 3ds and import/export scripts are availsble at elysiun.

%<

harkyman

Post by harkyman »

I've used the .obj import/export and it works well. Very easy, too.

What would be phenomenal would be the ability to "flip" a model between the two programs while running them simultaneously. I.e., you're modelling in Wings, hit a special key combo and Blammo! Your Wings model shows up in the current Blender 3d window.

I know this isn't really feasible, but I'm on cold medicine, and it seemed like fun at the time.

emack

Post by emack »

This is the goal of Verse, if I'm not mistaken . . . the ability to knit disparate apps together quickly. Perhaps a good step would be to write a Verse export plugin for Wings and a Verse import plugin for Blender?

quaestor

Post by quaestor »

fligh wrote:You can use wavefront obj or 3ds and import/export scripts are availsble at elysiun.
Well, speaking as someone who has been trying to do just that, I'd love to know which scripts work with 2.32...

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi »

Wings import/export would rock. Period

fligh

Post by fligh »

Well, speaking as someone who has been trying to do just that, I'd love to know which scripts work with 2.32...
http://jmsoler.free.fr/util/blenderfile ... odif232.py

%<

quaestor

Post by quaestor »

fligh wrote:
http://jmsoler.free.fr/util/blenderfile ... odif232.py
Hmmm... Didn't see this one at elysiun...

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

Open up a wings file in a text editor, its a binary file (not plane text) - Like a blend file.

Im not about to decode it, tho its totaly do-able.
If you can stick to the obj format.

fligh

Post by fligh »

Quaestor wrote:
The following answers are provided under GNU liscense and you are free to use them, modify them and distribute them without reference to the original author. However, you are only allowed to use one of those provided and you are obliged to use it only for the relevant and intended purpose:

1) That's obvious.

2) You're not alone.

3) That's what the 'Search' thingy is for.

4) I wonder how the author of the script, after all the time and trouble of writing it, and the generous spirit of making it available, would feel about your response?

5) Nyaa nyaa nya nyaa nyaa...

6) Well now you know.

7) That makes me feel so GOOD!

8) It's not on Elysiun, it's on free.fr

9) Did you look?

10) (and my all-time favourite) This is a development site, you'll get much better response to user questions at www.elysiun.com

%<

dandeloreon1984

Post by dandeloreon1984 »

I found a relevant script here... The only problem is that the script is looking for a matarial.
http://bane.servebeer.com/programming/b ... index.html

The OBJ importer is a little buggy, requires a mtl file....

I reccomend the 3DS, and if you use the 3ds unporter, you may need to rematerial the object.

quaestor

Post by quaestor »

fligh wrote:Quaestor wrote:
The following answers are provided under GNU liscense and you are free to use them, modify them and distribute them without reference to the original author. However, you are only allowed to use one of those provided and you are obliged to use it only for the relevant and intended purpose:

1) That's obvious.

2) You're not alone.

4) I wonder how the author of the script, after all the time and trouble of writing it, and the generous spirit of making it available, would feel about your response?

6) Well now you know.

9) Did you look?

10) (and my all-time favourite) This is a development site, you'll get much better response to user questions at www.elysiun.com

%<
?? I guess, since you're a development whiz-kid (since you read and reply to these forae), you don't have time for us lowly users and newbs, who presumably are the reason you exist. Debugnus asked a simple question, and you gave a testy, smart-arsed answer. If you knew the script he was looking for was *not* at elysiun...?? Perhaps if you had taken the time to seriously answer the question, maybe with a relevant link...? In any case, I've found better help, and more polite people, frankly, at elysiun, where I clearly should have stayed. My mistake was in thinking that because I had found *a* pinned thread there about available scripts, I had indeed found *the* current, useful thread about available scripts, perfectly illustrating why I hate relying on forae for support. Now I know, and I have learned.

dandeloreon1984

Post by dandeloreon1984 »

quaestor wrote:
fligh wrote:Quaestor wrote:

1) That's obvious.

2) You're not alone.

6) Well now you know.

9) Did you look?

%<
?? I guess, since you're a development whiz-kid (since you read and reply to these forae), you don't have time for us lowly users and newbs, who presumably are the reason you exist. Debugnus asked a simple question, and you gave a testy, smart-arsed answer. If you knew the script he was looking for was *not* at elysiun...?? Perhaps if you had taken the time to seriously answer the question, maybe with a relevant link...? In any case, I've found better help, and more polite people, frankly, at elysiun, where I clearly should have stayed. My mistake was in thinking that because I had found *a* pinned thread there about available scripts, I had indeed found *the* current, useful thread about available scripts, perfectly illustrating why I hate relying on forae for support. Now I know, and I have learned.
Hey I fixed it, since Wings 3d Can Export OBJ, and 3ds File, I say import an 3ds file... OBJ script requires an mtl file...

He is not an wiz kid anyways, he just said look online and search, I say use the mentioned scripts, and do an export and import.