searching for a loft option

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

chris1

searching for a loft option

Post by chris1 »

Hi,
I'm working with blender v. 2.32 at the moment (and I'm also very lucky about the raytracing possibilities, thanks) , I have a need for a loft operand which works like in 3dsmax. That means that you just need to make a shape (bezier curve) and another closen form (also a closen bezier curve).
By selecting the first curve (the "path"), marking the loft operand and then selecting the second one, the path and the second shape come together and the result is a mesh, combined by both beziers.

Is there any option like this in blender or any other possibility to realise this?

Thanks for your responses and a nice evening.

Chris

Manuel

Post by Manuel »

This will be in the next release of BlenderCAD script:

http://projects.blender.org/projects/blendercad/

we hope to release it in the next two weeks.

Regards,

Manuel

leon

Post by leon »

...and you can also do this in Blender directly:

Create two Bezier shapes - for starters try creating a bezier circle and a bezier curve.

Select the bezier circle and choose the edit buttons (press F9 in the buttons window). You should see a box in the "Link and Materials" panel, saying something like "Ob: CurveCircle"

Select the bezier curve: you should see a box at the bottom right of the "Curve and Surface" panel saying "BevOb:". Click in here and type the name of the bezier circle (so "CurveCircle" in this example).

Now you should see that the circle has been lofted along the curve - is this what you're looking for?

cheers

Leon

fligh

Post by fligh »

That's what 'Surface Curves' are for: Add -> Surface.

%<

chris1

Post by chris1 »

Alright, It worked fine. thanks.
But I didn't understand what you meant, flight.

Another question: Now I've got a hollowed tube, how can I cap the holes?

Thanks and regards

Chris

solmax

Post by solmax »

- convert the object to a mesh (ALT+CKEY)
- select on either end the border vertices
- hit EKEY for extrude and immediately afterwards SKEY for scale
- hold CTRL and scale the extruded vertices to zero
- from the specials menu (WKEY) select remove doubles
- cap done!

however there is no construction history, so you cant change the shape afterwards by going back to your "loft curve" and changing it's geometry

see picture for details

chris1

Post by chris1 »

thanks!

There was no need for the pictures ;)

Now I got it, thanks to this famous community.

Best Regards,
Chris

leon

Post by leon »

I was looking for some way of capping the ends without converting to mesh, but I couldn't find one unfortunately!

btw, you can do the same thing that solmax described without scaling to 0 (I find this tricky myself!). After converting to mesh, select your end vertices, hit E to extrude and accept at the prompt then hit enter. Now hit alt-m, and select "At center" - voila!

solmax

Post by solmax »

leon wrote:btw, you can do the same thing that solmax described without scaling to 0 (I find this tricky myself!). After converting to mesh, select your end vertices, hit E to extrude and accept at the prompt then hit enter. Now hit alt-m, and select "At center" - voila!
absolutely right, I still stick with the "old skool tools" ;)