Mouse not working?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

prophecy

Mouse not working?

Post by prophecy »

So,

The old blender would allow you to use the middle mouse button to rotate the field around freely. But now I can not get that to work with this new stuff? What are some things I can check to make sure that all my settings are correct?

Justace

dandeloreon1984

Re: Mouse not working?

Post by dandeloreon1984 »

prophecy wrote:So,

The old blender would allow you to use the middle mouse button to rotate the field around freely. But now I can not get that to work with this new stuff? What are some things I can check to make sure that all my settings are correct?

Justace
By default blender sets the view to pan...

What you want is to access the preferences menu, and change how the third button is dealt with.

prophecy

Ok...

Post by prophecy »

Well,

I have tried every possible combination of the controls and I still can not rotate the sceen around? Anything else it could be? My mouse is defined in my XFree config file as:

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse2"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Device" "/dev/usbmouse"

EndSection

Justace

dandeloreon1984

Re: Ok...

Post by dandeloreon1984 »

prophecy wrote:Well,

I have tried every possible combination of the controls and I still can not rotate the sceen around? Anything else it could be? My mouse is defined in my XFree config file as:

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse2"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Device" "/dev/usbmouse"

EndSection

Justace
well, the problem is with xfree86, not blender, fix the xfree86, then ask here again...

prophecy

XFree?

Post by prophecy »

Every other application works like a champ. I will double check my X stuff but I give it like 1% chance of being the problem.

Justace

SirDude

Post by SirDude »

Can you scroll with the middle mouse button in your fav web browser?

If its not X11 and you have blender configured right
maybe its your window manager.

prophecy

Post by prophecy »

I am able to scroll in side konq. I am using KDE 3.2 right now. I can cut and paste with the middle mouse button so the middle mouse button events are getting to the applications right?

Justace

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

prophecy wrote:I am able to scroll in side konq. I am using KDE 3.2 right now. I can cut and paste with the middle mouse button so the middle mouse button events are getting to the applications right?

Justace
they don't have to, but it ought to work in blender then

is it something like you can't dolly (slide) the 3d window, but you can pan? if that is the case it is a property of your window manager. kde is usually set up from what I remember to disallow alt+lmb and use it to move windows, there are similar shortcuts that do other things. However, I don't know what it is considering I haven't been able to run kde 3.2 yet.

prophecy

Humm

Post by prophecy »

Ok,

So I am using Blender 2.32 and am not convinced that I am not doing something wrong here. One thing that I can do, when I use the mouse to begin a translation and I hit the middle mouse button during the move it constrains the movement to a line. So that verifies that the middle mouse is getting to blender. To be honest, I have not been able to modify my view from the mouse at all with the exception of zooming by scrolling the middle mouse button. I want to play with some of this stuff but it is very agravating when I cant move the window around like I used to.

Justace

prophecy

KDE 3.2 to be at fualt

Post by prophecy »

Ok,

Well it seems that when I leave KDE, and go into something like TWM all works ok. So this is definitly a problem with kde

Justace

slikdigit

Post by slikdigit »

perhaps KDE is 'consuming' the event- it is set up to do something else.
I had this problem in other winmanagers that used certain keyboard+mouse bindings, and ended up changing them to use the "windows logo" key as a modifier, so they wouldn't confilict with blender.
probably doable with KDE as well

prophecy

Found it!

Post by prophecy »

Well,

KDE 3.2 has a new khotkeys system. It is great. You can have generic hot keys and it controls the global mouse gestures. That is the problem my mouse gestures activation button was the middle mouse button. I just disabled it and blender worked fine.

Justace