Sequence Editor feature request

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

malefico

Sequence Editor feature request

Post by malefico » Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:17 pm

Hi, I was showing Blender Sequence Editor's capabilities to a friend and he asked me if I could scale up a video strip so it had more frames than the images loaded (the strip was a JPG sequence), meaning automatic and uniform repetition of frames during the timeline.

I had to tell him that I didn't know if that was possible (what a shame!). I wonder if it can be done or if not, if some of the marvelous coders around could implement such a feature.

Maybe there are some development of the sequence editor currently going on which I'm not aware of, but I think it could be a great help to have a "S" hotkey to stretch or shrink a video strip in the sequence editor (just like Edit Mode for meshes).
Maybe Instinctive-Blender has done some work on this ?

Well, let me know what you think about it.

Cheers.

malefico.

theeth

Post by theeth » Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:39 pm

You can extend the range of single frame strips by selecting one end (right on the triangle) and moving it (grab). For movie strips, this only seems to add black frames to the strip.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

solmax

Post by solmax » Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:47 pm

do you mean time stretching? if yes, the answer is no.

however this would be a great feature - i'd love to see such imprevements for the sequence editor.

teachtech

Post by teachtech » Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:45 pm

I haven't worked with the sequence editor for some time (been using Adobe Premiere) I notice in 2.32 that you can add audio to the strip. When I render the sequence- no sound. Is this something that's being worked in or can it now work?

theeth

Post by theeth » Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:09 pm

You need to use the MixDown button to save the audio track and then composite it with the audio in an external app.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

malefico

Post by malefico » Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:06 pm

do you mean time stretching? if yes, the answer is no.
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. It would be great to have it in the sequence editor...

Teeth: I know what you mean, but the only thing you do with that is repeating the last or first frame of the sequence.
EDITED: Oops, you were talking about "single frame strips".
I was talking about image sequences though...

Cheers.

LethalSideParting

Post by LethalSideParting » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:15 pm

Whilst we're here discussing the sequence editor, does anyone know a fast way to bring in a sequence of frames into the sequence editor? I've got nearly 2000 frames that I rendered out on Linux, with the naming going sequence1.0001.tga, sequence1.0002.tga, sequence1.0003.tga ....

I know that if you go to the sequence editor and go add->images you get an image select window where you can select multiple frames, but so far the only way I've found to import an image sequence is to shift-rightclick-drag all the images you want to import. This is fine for small numbers of frames, but when you've got 2000 frames like I have, having to manually select 2000 frames becomes a bit of a chore... ;)

Maybe we need a system like Shake, which auto-detects any image sequences, and instead of giving you 2000 individual images to select will instead just write one option in the image select window, eg. sequence1.[0001-2000].tga which imports the whole lot as an image sequence....
Any thoughts?

LethalSideParting

solmax

Post by solmax » Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:59 pm

lethal: simply press A to select all images. if they are properly named, they will be put in inthe right order as a single strip.

hope this helps

marin

malefico

Post by malefico » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:15 am

What I do, is to select the folder where the images are stored (without entering the folder)

Cheers.

LethalSideParting

Post by LethalSideParting » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:28 am

:shock: (jaw drops)

Thanks very much Solmax, I've used Blender for nearly 3 years now, and I never knew that!.... God knows how many unnecessary miles my wrist has travelled over the years... ;)

Lethal

malefico

Post by malefico » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:12 pm

Going back to the main subject of this thread, a friend of mine suggested to me that it would be great if Time IPO curves could be applied to video sequence strips, so you can manage stretching in time, stops, reverse playing by editing some IPOs.

What do you think ?

Cheers.

solmax

Post by solmax » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:25 pm

well would be great, only quite difficult to implement (i think at least). i know some high-end programs doing that, like realviz' "retimer" - it's only purpose is time stretching/compressing. it uses some advanced pixel-motion recognition algorithms for adding in-between frames.. that's all i know.

greets

marin