Circle and sphere radius

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Analogy

Circle and sphere radius

Post by Analogy » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:07 pm

Is there any particular reason why the circle, cylinder and sphere can't have a radius of 1 instead of sqrt(2)? It annoys me when I'm trying to build something to exact specifications, but the objects aren't unit sizes, so I gotta spend a bit of time getting them to unit sizes. =P

solmax

Post by solmax » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:26 pm

i think - history. blender wasn't build as a CAD app, like autocad or archicad or however they are called.

search for the blenderCAD scripts here or on elysiun, you might be happy.

greets

marin

Analogy

Post by Analogy » Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:48 am

I'm not going for CAD precision, really, it's just that it's an awful lot weirder working with a sphere with a non-rational radius, that and being able to know a lot more precisely what the sizes I'm working with are to avoid clipping issues and general modelling annoyances. It seems that using a python script to fix something as tiny as this is like using a nuke to open a can of soda. It's just a couple variables! Heck, even non-programmer me could probably tweak it. Hmm, maybe I should STFU and fix it myself. =D

neil

Post by neil » Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:12 pm

I assume someone thought that was the best way to have it but I find I never use the circle or UV sphere but instead I would just place a vertex and spin it. What would be nice would be a single vertex mesh primitive as normally the first thing I do to model anything is take a plane and delete 3 vertices - maybe I just have strange ways of modelling!

Neil.

Analogy

Post by Analogy » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:33 pm

Good luck getting an icosphere that way. :D UVspheres are nice and all, but icos are much more triangle-efficient for the same amount of smoothness. That vertex primitive would be pretty handy, I do that delete three vertices from a plane thing myself.