Subsurf

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Al-Capone

Subsurf

Post by Al-Capone »

Anyone would like to a fratcial subsurf put into blender and a combination of the current and simple subsurf ?

theeth

Post by theeth »

What do you mean by "fratcial subsurf"?

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Al-Capone

Post by Al-Capone »

oops, ment Fratical subsurf.

meestaplu

Post by meestaplu »

I checked Google, and it draws a blank on that one. I have done a bunch of work with subdivision surfaces, so I would be willing to take a look at adding some new ones. I had a lot of fun working with Blender's subdivision code and was able to easily modify it, but I'm not messing with mesh data structures until the summer.

If you could clarify what you want, I'll look into it.

Matt
I love vector calculus at 4 in the morning.

theeth

Post by theeth »

He probably means fractal, however...

1) I'm pretty sure he used the word without knowing what it means, having heard it somewhere (I don't want to sound insulting but it's most likely true)

2) He makes absolutly NO effort to spell correctly. Here demonstrated by this nice link http://www.google.com/search?q=fratcial

Martin
- John Lennon

steve_t

Post by steve_t »

I have no clue what the fractal thing is... but while we are on the topic...
I have requested it before and I am sure that you are geting sick of me asking, but I would be really greatful if someone could work on being able to mix the two types of subsurf calculations or somehow hack it up so we could assign hard edges on an edge by edge basis.

The modeler for verse "Loq Airou" supports this feature, as do many other implimentations of subsurf's.

If explanations of why this would be useful are needed I can provide some.

Thanks again,
Steve

theeth

Post by theeth »

steve_t: The problem in this case is not the alorithm, it is the implementation and how to make it fit in the current design.

Martin
- John Lennon

havocsoft

Post by havocsoft »

Perhaps we should create a wings 3d type thing... they have an object mode, a face mode, a edge mode, and a vert mode (which is all blender has right now). Being able to select whole faces at a time and alter them is a feature I don't think blender has.... I know there is a face select mode but honestly, the way it is set up dosn't seem to make much sense to me..... maybe some of the info I see about it is just outdated...
-Compman
Webmaster, CompTeks.net
Founder, Admin, and Lead Developer, Havoc Software Productions

steve_t

Post by steve_t »

So is it the edge selection mode that is lacking or is it more how to do the workflow and fit it into the UI?

emack

Post by emack »

Hi theeth,

Is anyone working on revising the subsurface code? It would be interesting to hear what they have to say about when this might work.

Eliot

Al-Capone

Post by Al-Capone »

Yea, that's the word, Fractal, but I did came up with Fratical too on Google search http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=U ... gle+Search

So it was only a misunderstanding.

Al-Capone

Post by Al-Capone »

havocsoft wrote:Perhaps we should create a wings 3d type thing... they have an object mode, a face mode, a edge mode, and a vert mode (which is all blender has right now). Being able to select whole faces at a time and alter them is a feature I don't think blender has.... I know there is a face select mode but honestly, the way it is set up dosn't seem to make much sense to me..... maybe some of the info I see about it is just outdated...
A weld option would be nice too, seen it on a human tutorial.

theeth

Post by theeth »

emack wrote:Is anyone working on revising the subsurface code? It would be interesting to hear what they have to say about when this might work.
Zr is working on that.

To Al-Capone in particular but really for anyone making a suggestion, please follow this advice: Document the features you want. Put links to similar features in other programs. Images always helps.
Just saying we need a weld tool is really ridiculous, especially since Blender already has a vertices welding tool.

Martin
- John Lennon

Al-Capone

Post by Al-Capone »

Alright, alright, I post a image. Don't get all tide in a knott. Image

Also is there an option that would split the lines without adding extra lines like this ? Image

theeth

Post by theeth »

1) Blender doesn't support n-gons

2 & 3) And loop cut is for?

Martin
- John Lennon