BVH Motion Capture I/O Update 04/06/08

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

scourage

Post by scourage » Sun May 30, 2004 7:14 am

I could have it build a root bone that the rest of the bone Hierarchy builds off of. It could stick out the back like a small tailbone (as opposed the front :lol:). That shouldn't be too hard. Would actually be quite easy the way everything builds right now. I would just make the None parent have a location (like 0,-1,0). Would that help?

cheers,

Bob

[edit]
ok, a new script is up that now the script produces a "Hips" bone that is the mutha of all bones. It's actually kinda small and sticks out the back, but rotating and moving it rotates and moves the entire armature.
Halfway down the trail to hell....

scourage

Post by scourage » Mon May 31, 2004 3:51 am

A new script is up on my site that applies the BVH motion to the armature created from the file. However, it does not animate it properly, and I haven't figured out why yet. Any ideas Ideasman?

cheers,

Bob
Halfway down the trail to hell....

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:32 am

I updated the BVH I/O for the latest BF-Blender.

Download them from the URL on the front page.

IngieBee

Post by IngieBee » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:06 am

Wow, I had no idea you all were working on this, thanks!!!

Now to try it out.... ;P

Ingie

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:35 am

Im working on a project to create BVF humen motion from footage as a an alternative to using a mocap studio.

The BVH I/O is a part of the effort-

I havent received any help with this projects, so if others have ideas then feel free to contribute (hint hint) :)

SysAdm

cont...

Post by SysAdm » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:55 pm

Wow... I had no idea anybody was working on this...

My website... http://centralsource.com/blender/bvh/

I remember when I first got the .py file from Reevan... damn that was exciting... I've been wanting to update it to work with newer versions of Blender, but my lack of Python has been my down fall... glad to see someone picking this project up...

My ideas...

1. Basically to be able to rename a .bvh file on the fly with a set of default bone names... I have over 300 .bvh files from different studios, and they all use their own bone naming convention. Also, they use different decimal place holders for the animations... I remember having to re-number them to a 2 digit place holder.

2. To be able to import multiple BVH files in a row... basically, after you import a BVH file, run the script and let it put your skeleton in the right position. Now go to the last frame in the animation and import a second BVH file. What would be awesome is if where the first one stops, the bones could be automatically moved to where the second one starts. Another words, have it calculate a smooth transition from where one BVH file stops and where one starts.

That would mean unlimited animation using any set of BVH files... image the possibilities of character animation by merging mulitple BVH files together!!!

3. I have a web based BVH viewer that was donated to me... it is written in JAVA and it's really cool... you can view any BVH animation in your web browser!! It reads in BVH data and animates a default skeleton. AGAIN... the biggest issue is the naming convention of the bones...

Let me know if I can help with this... I have plenty of server space and I would love to "update" my BVH website... especially with a NEW working script! :D ...

_______SysAdm

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:18 pm

Bob or Ideasman,

did either of you (or any other spectators) have a look at what would need to be done for using MakeHuman with BVH?

I'd like to get some idea of what has been tried already since I might try and stumble down this path as well.

Thanks,

Tom M.
LetterRip

rptb1

Post by rptb1 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:16 pm

The links on the original post are now broken, and ideasman's e-mail bounces too. Does anyone know where this stuff has gone?

I'm trying to build animations in Blender and export them to BVH models for upload to Second Life. It seems to be extraordinarily difficult to arrange!

BETLOG

Post by BETLOG » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:04 am

rptb1 wrote:I'm trying to build animations in Blender and export them to BVH models for upload to Second Life. It seems to be extraordinarily difficult to arrange!
Ditto... and bump. Whats the latest status on this?
I have got reasonably close to it working, but it seems relatively minor issues mess up the SL import results...

[EDIT]
Meh, tinkering turned into learning Python so I could see wtf the existing scripts arent doing right.
It seems to be a trivial difference in how SL expects it's rig info.... but exactly what the solution is i dont know.

BETLOG

Post by BETLOG » Tue May 20, 2008 12:35 pm