A maya paint with subdivision

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Al-Capone

A maya paint with subdivision

Post by Al-Capone » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:49 am

This is just an idea, a maya paint feature with subdivision, a way to subdivide and extruding with a paint type program, there is already a script that can do maya type effect, but this one goes a litter further by subdividing the need area for details, the brush will work like the one in gimp, option such as pressure, softness, desighn, here's a sketch to give you an idea, what you think ?

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! » Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:27 am

As long as it makes quads instead of tri's it will be realy nice

Al-Capone

Post by Al-Capone » Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:56 am

Or this image was created with CAD, so when it export it it had to convert it to triangle. But I think this would be good to add details to a model in real time.

gabio

Post by gabio » Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:09 am

I tried to develop a concept on this but i got negative feed back so...

still think it's a good feature...

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:36 am

gabio, dont wory abt negative feedback- you know its a cool idea, keep up with it :)

Al-Capone

Post by Al-Capone » Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:17 am

You mean on this idea ? If it was yours sorry I took it. I think its a wonderful idea. Who gave you the negative feed back ?

gabio

Post by gabio » Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:04 am

ho no it's not mine in any way... i was triying to get some of zbrush feature to blender but to do a very powerfull thing like this you new a new sort of mesh... anyway a new mesh type was a good idea. And doing it with actual mesh data could be very heavy in system performance... anyway if you want, here is a scketch of the idea:

http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=m ... 8&start=15

Al-Capone

Post by Al-Capone » Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:26 am

Yes, I see what you mean, well, my idea is a little different and it would probaly be easer to make, there's already a maya paint script for blender, it uses links to effect the mesh, the negative feedback you are getting is from the triangle mesh, the idea I had was to take the present mesh, subdivide it then use the maya type script feature to adjust the height, but enable for the mesh to remain square or grid the vertex around them must also be square, I think, however there may be some added triangles, not sure thoe, if there is a need for sharp edge deleting the edge edge will do that or there could be an effort to combind the current subdivide feature with the simple one.

Al-Capone

Post by Al-Capone » Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:52 am

Here's an idea, keep the triangle method and use subsurf to keep the poly count low, then if they want it can be converted to quad mode.

Al-Capone

Post by Al-Capone » Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:05 am

This is the only quad method I could think of and thats using only extrude Image