more Help menu items

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi »

OK, fair enough. As long as it is simple to use for newbies and they wont have to go through a long series of complicated procedures to get to any help files, I don't care about how it is implemented. But please don't make it Python installation dependant. Either use Python modules that are included with Blender, or include more modules if they are not sufficient.
I think it would be most convenient if there was a small beginners help document (in html format) with the Blender download. I really think a proper help system will make a great difference for Blender.

Although the help menu will probably be used mostly by new users it would be ideal if intermediate users would gain from it too. How about a link to the open documentation project?

matt_e

Post by matt_e »

Out of interest, how big is the python webbrowser module? Could it possibly be included in the list of new python modules that people have talked about including in the Blender package? Creating an html help file to accompany blender would be a lot of work, but if we had the web browser functionality, it would be very feasible to just link to the open doc project and other places amongst the blender web sites.

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi »

Broken: Very true. I'd be interested to know how if the webbrowser module is possible to implement too. Isn't it Willian who is incorporating new Python modules?

theeth

Post by theeth »

The webbrowser module is 15 KB when compiled (PYC).

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi »

Sounds quite possible then. How about it?

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi »

Am I right in thinking it is Willian who is implementing the new Python modules? If so, I can try to poke him about this subject.

gaiamuse

Post by gaiamuse »

Monkeyboi wrote:... As long as it is simple to use for newbies and they wont have to go through a long series of complicated procedures to get to any help files, I don't care about how it is implemented. But please don't make it Python installation dependant.
As a newbie, me too. I don't care how it gets implemented as long as it is easy to find and use. Perhaps html is too cumbersome at this time. Anyway good luck!

gaiamuse